Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#9694 - 08/16/07 02:24 PM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Ryan Brohman Offline
Adagio Pro

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario
I see it another way: if you've "paid over $20,000 for this software" , to spend only $100/hr to get it setup and running properly is a real steal!

It's like buying a really expensive home theatre system - you don't get full value for your money unless everything is hooked up right - and that means getting a professional.

Peer-to-peer networks are the trickiest installs and many issues can arise that aren't easily addressed in a forum. Not to mention the aggravation of having to wait for the next reply.

I know it's not the help you're looking for but I strongly suggest using the link Ralph provided to locate a consultant in your area.

Kitchener, ON

#9695 - 08/16/07 03:57 PM Re: installing on network [Re: Ryan Brohman]
Anonymous
Unregistered

#9696 - 08/16/07 10:22 PM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
FYI, the one thing you should not do if you want free advice from experts on a tech forum is to complain about the hourly rate of your consultant. And by the way, $100 per hour is ridiculously cheap for a good Adagio consultant, or ridiculously expensive for a bad one.

Steve Schwartz
STEVEN D. SCHWARTZ & ASSOCIATES

#9697 - 08/16/07 10:56 PM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Ralph Allan Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Loc: Prince George BC
How much has it cost to pay a second person who has "nothing to do?"

If an Adagio consultant had installed this for you (estimate 3 to 4 hours if there are no unusual issues), you would have been up and running, without serious problems, days ago. They know how to do this, that's why they are worth $100/hr (and more).

You still do not seem clear on the process to install the software correctly (based on your last response).

You can keep trying to do it yourself and just get more and more frustrated. Or you can get competent help from someone who has been through this many times and will make it all seem simple.

It's your choice.

#9698 - 08/17/07 07:40 AM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is this your way of saying your done supporting this issue?

#9700 - 08/17/07 11:21 AM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Ralph Allan Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Loc: Prince George BC
I am sure that Softrak Tech Support will continue to try to help you. (I am not a Softrak employee; just an experienced consultant who trys to help in this forum when I can.)

Here, from me, is one more try at explaining how to install Adagio on your peer-to-peer network. I am assuming Windows XP Pro on all systems.

1. Uninstall everything you have done to date, on all systems, using the Add/Remove Programs function in the control Panel.

2. On the server system, use Windows Explorer to create a folder called ACCT (for accounting). Then use Explorer to share this folder with the name "ACCT." (Right click on the folder and select "Sharing and Security." Allow useres to change the files.)

3. On the server, in Windows Explorer, select Tools / Map Network Drive. Map Drive M to ACCT on the server.

4. Make sure you are logged in as the user who will be running Adagio, and install Adagio modules from the CD's in any order except that the LanPak cannot be first.

Make sure the programs are installed to Drive M, and that the "Report tables drive" is also set to Drive M. (This should default correctly after the first module is installed, but it does not hurt to to check.)

Use the Custom Install choice and make sure that everything, including Workstation setup files is checked.

Check the option to put a shortcut on the desktop if you wish.

(Hint: put the big serial number stickers in the front cover of the manual and one of the small ones on the CD cover.)

When you are done installing all the modules, using Windows Explorer, go to M:\SOFTRAK\System and run CHKSYS.exe (The .exe may not be visible depending on your Windows settings.) If it reports that Opportunistic Locking must be turned off, allow it to do so and then allow it to reboot the system.

5. Go to each other workstation. Log into the station as the user who will run Adagio. Use Windows Explorer to map Drive M to ACCT on the server.

On each station go to M:\SOFTRAK\ALLWKST and run the program ALLWKST.exe. Select the programs you want that computer user to have access to, one by one, and install them; or install all programs at once using that selection.

Go to M:\SOFTRAK\system and run chksys.exe. Turn off opportunistic locking and reboot if prompted to do so.

6. Start each module, fill out, print and fax the registration forms for all, including the LanPaks. You will get a fax back in a few days that will contain a licence number that will shut off the "nag screens" forever. Until then, just hit "continue" when prompted. (That will work for up to 60 days, but why wait?)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Possible problems:

Windows peer-to-peer networking can be "fickle;" here are some hints I have gleaned from Windows Experts which you can use if you have networkinig problems.

1. In Windows Explorer, select Tools / Folder Options / View. Scroll down and turn OFF (uncheck) "Simple file sharing."

2. In the Windows control panel, under Users, turn off the option to use the welcome screen. This will use the older style prompt for a user name and password.

3. Assign every user a password and add them as users, with the same name and password, on the server.

4. In Windows Explorer, right click on the ACCT folder. Under "Sharing and security," add each of the users and give them full rights. (Adding "everyone" does not work.)

5. When installing from the CD's or from the workstation install, the users must have administrative rights on their own computer. (These can be restricted later if you wish, but will have to be re-established when installing the periodic updates.)

Hope this helps to get you going. It may also give you a hint of why Softrak conducts on-going training for its consultants and recommends that end-users call them.

#9701 - 08/17/07 11:24 AM Re: installing on network [Re: Ralph Allan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok I apprecite all your help, I called a consultant, the only one in london has never done a peer to peer setup, I'm meeting with him today so we collectivley try to figure this out. The only other consultant that is close is about 2 hours away.

#9704 - 08/18/07 08:29 PM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think we may have this figured out. This morning the consultant (Neil) and I sat down and worked something out. What we did was we put the data files on a "distro" or file server and did not install the software on that file server. We then install the programs completely on the 2 separate computers that the book keepers are going to be working on. We then directed them both to use the data files on the server. We installed the lan packs on the 2 book keeping computer. Everything seemed to work well. It has not been thoroughly tested (Monday will be the true test). Can anyone see any holes in this plan, or any drastic problems?

#9705 - 08/19/07 08:59 AM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
This is not the correct way to install Adagio, and if your consultant recommends such an approach, I think you ought to find another consultant. He is not adequately trained, and is not seeking qualified advice from the Adagio community (such as this forum).

Adagio program files need to be installed on the server, not on individual workstations. You are asking for serious data corruption problems if you break this rule.

Steve

#9706 - 08/19/07 04:38 PM Re: installing on network [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Anonymous
Unregistered

why do they need to be installed on the server if its not a client server? it is really just acting as a distro. Its simpley holding the files for the other 2 workstations.

Thank-You

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1847 Members
5 Forums
14236 Topics
69711 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20