Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#9707 - 08/19/07 05:09 PM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

fyi, the next closest consultant is about 2 hours away, so if you don?t feel that the help I currently have isn?t adequate I really need to know what you would do. Any help is appreciated.
I will explain exactly what we have right now.

2 bookkeeper?s
2 computers they work on
Another computer that only the files for adagio are sitting on
The 2 bookkeeper?s computers have adagio installed. 1 of them has all 6 modules installed because she uses all of them and the other has 4 modules installed.
After completing the setup of the software on the 2 bookkeeping computers we changed the pointers for where the software would look for the information to /computer-x/c/adagio/data/ then installed the lan packs on both computers and tested to see if they would work and everything worked fine. As I said in the post before it was a quick test so it was just to see if it would work and it did. If you feel that I'm risking corruption of the data and you have a better idea I'm open to anything. Fyi I did call the other company that?s about 2 hours away and basically they didn?t seem to interested in taking on the issue. I think they were just extremely busy.

Thank-you in advance for any help you may provide.

#9708 - 08/19/07 09:13 PM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Bruce Gardner Offline
Adagio Wizard

Loc: Toronto ON, Canada
Hello:

Steve is 110% correct. The Adagio application MUST be installed onto the server with multiple users. Your current approach will appear to work but will ultimately result in data problems. For proper file sharing & file locking, the applications must be installed in one place (the server) so that they can negotiate what happens when 2 users try to update the same data at the same time.

Ralph's response on the 17th is very detailed and accurate. He has distilled his many hours of installation experience into those instructions.

However, if even a single line of his instructions is confusing, please get someone qualified to help you. You've wasted enough of your time. If you want names in south-western Ontario, you can call Softrak Systems and ask for qualified consultants. Their number is 604-736-3741.

For what it's worth, an experienced Adagio reseller can set this up very quickly. Now you need to start thinking about the next steps: training your users, modifying the forms (Invoices, Orders, Cheques, AR Statements), taking advantage of the new features and modifying procedures. I'd suggest that some planning is in order before any further software installation.

Good luck.

#9709 - 08/19/07 10:51 PM Re: installing on network [Re: Bruce Gardner]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for yours and Steve?s responses I appreciate it. Just note both the users know how to use the applications, we have been using them since Feb, and the new girl is trained, so that?s taken care of, I still don?t have allot of breathing room in getting this done though.
Ok on to the problem. I have tried Ralph?s directions 3 times, exactly the way he gave them and I had no luck, the consultant said he tried and couldn?t get it to work. At this point I don?t know if that means anything but I'll throw it out there anyway.
I will give it one more go tomorrow before going a different route. I have to be in there before anyone to undo everything done yesterday, I'm going to take both yours and Steve?s advice and undo what was done so the data does not become corrupt. its a little frustrating to pay someone to do this and then find out that they just lead us down the path to losing our data.

Thank-you everyone for all your responses, I appreciate all your help, will update as time goes on, please continue to give the valuable advice.

#9710 - 08/20/07 06:27 AM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok I followed Ralphs instructions exactly as he put them down and so far so good. Just a few small questions I need cleared up.
1.) After installing the lanpack on the server do I also have to install them on the workstations and when?

2.) When do I install the updates for the programs? Before installing everything on the 2 workstations or after?

Thank-You in advance

#9712 - 08/20/07 09:30 AM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Ryan Brohman Offline
Adagio Pro

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario
1)The lanpack only needs to be installed once - to the server, as the licenses are controlled centrally.

2)You can install the upgrades to the server at any time. Adagio will automatically update the files on the workstation (if necessary) the next time the workstations run the module.

If you require any further help, please call us at (519) 746-3118. We are located in Waterloo, only an hour away. Or if you prefer, we can do most troubleshooting through a remote connection (as long as you have a high-speed internet connection).

Kitchener, ON

#9714 - 08/20/07 11:46 AM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Ralph Allan Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Loc: Prince George BC
The server is a server whether peer-to-peer or client-server and must be treated as such.

If you are not going to follow what I thought were clear step-by-step instructions, why ask for them? Just blunder ahead, make a mess, and then blame someone else.

(I'm sure the Softrak tech support team is chortling loudly at the frustration expressed by Steve and me. They have seen it all before.)

BTW there is a very experienced consultant in London, Ont. who I have confidence will do it right (and has done lots of peer-to-peer isntallations).

#9716 - 08/20/07 02:22 PM Re: installing on network [Re: Ralph Allan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are you getting worked up about, I didnt blame anyone for anything. YOU suggested I get the consulant in to help and I did and then YOU said that what we did on saturday would corrupt the data. So I went back to what you origionaly wrote to me and like I said before everything was going fine but I needed 2 points clearifyed. Untill now I only knew of 1 consultant in the area, thanks for pointing out the second. Thank-you Ryan for actully clearifying my questions. Anyway whatever, thanks for the help.

Edited by abgb123 (08/20/07 02:23 PM)

#9717 - 08/20/07 02:40 PM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Softrak Support Online   happy

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
I appreciate that it can be frustrating when attempting to install a program and it isn't working as well as expected or anticipated. Indeed different environments (client-server, peer-peer, terminal server, etc) all have particular characteristics where 'one size fits all' instructions may not be valid in every case.

To ensure the Lanpaks have installed correctly, open any Adagio program, then go to the Help / About menu choice. If you see licenses such as '0 of 2' or '1 of 5', with the second number being your total number of licenses, then all is great. If you see '1' for the license, then the Lanpak may have been installed to the wrong location, or you have Adagio 8.1A programs but older version 'pre-81A' Lanpaks.

Is there anything else that you would like clarification for, or any other questions you have at the moment? Thanks for using Adagio!

#9722 - 08/20/07 05:17 PM Re: installing on network [Re: Softrak Support]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everything seems to be working well while using Ralph?s instructions. They were very clear and precise and I thank him. I suspect that I was having trouble before because when uninstalling adagio the table folder does not get uninstalled and I didn?t realize that so I kept getting errors. After deleting that folder then running the WKSETUP.EXE all went great. Thank you everyone for your patience and support with this problem.
Just to clarify, the consultant that had been discussed earlier, in my opinion is a very qualified consultant. Although he did not help with this matter he has been there in the past for all kinds of different issues. I suspect that the reason he was unable to do the peer to peer setup was because it's a pretty confusing setup, there was some miscommunications, and there isn?t a lot of support for it in the manuals. Regardless of how this went I would recommend him in the future.

I appreciate all help with this matter and everyone?s patience.
Thank-You

P.S. I think I now know more about Adagio then I ever desired. lol

#9723 - 08/20/07 08:14 PM Re: installing on network [Re: ]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Nonetheless I think you should recommend that your consultant read this thread and take advantage of the consultant training that Softrak provides, either via the web, onsite, or the annual Adagio conference. He should also utilize this forum or the http://www.pluscommunity.com forum when he has questions. We Adagio consultants are here to help, not only end users such as yourself, but also other consultants who want to raise their level of expertise.

There's nothing worse than feeling stupid when someone is paying you by the hour to be an expert. I know from personal experience.

Steve

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
1 registered (Softrak Support), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1847 Members
5 Forums
14239 Topics
69734 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18