installing on network

Posted by: Anonymous

installing on network - 08/15/07 12:31 PM

when installing on a network, the book for ledger says that you have to run wksetup.exe for the workstations and a full install on your server and thats for all modules, the ledge, rec, ect.. However I am unable to locate a wksetup.exe on the cd for ledger. Can someone tell me how exactly this is to be done step by step?

Thank-You in advance.

PS I already have the lan packs.
Posted by: Ralph Allan

Re: installing on network - 08/15/07 12:39 PM

Install from a workstation to the mapped drive on the server. You can install the modules in any order except that the LanPak cannot be first.

The installation should detect you are installing on a network. If you want to be doubly sure, use the custom install choices and make sure the Workstation components check box is checked.

After installing on the first station this way, go to each ther workstation and:
-- map the same drive letter
-- run either x:\softrak\allwkstn\allwkstn.exe or
x:\softrak\yyASP\WKSetup\WKsetup.exe (where x is the network
drive and yy is the application (GL for Ledger, for example))

Make sure to run x:\softrak\system\chksys on BOTH the server and every workstation. (You will have to reboot each.)

Re: installing on network - 08/15/07 12:42 PM

Thank-You for your quick responce.

this will work even with the server being dedicated soley to this purpose and there all on a router?

Thank-You

Re: installing on network - 08/15/07 02:36 PM

Just so I have this clear I select "workstation Files/or setup" and unselect application files, correct?
Posted by: Softrak Support

Re: installing on network - 08/15/07 05:05 PM

When installing Adagio from a workstation to a network server, select both application files and workstation setup files. This is the initial installation of the program and the only time you need the CD.

When setting up other workstations to use Adagio, you do not need the CD anymore. Use Ralph's instuctions to perform the workstation setup for other computers, while logged into the computer as the user (not the admin login):
- \softrak\allwkstn\allwkstn.exe
- \softrak\XXwin\wksetup\wksetup.exe

After performing the workstation setup, run the CHKSYS.EXE utility file (found in the x:\softrak\system directory) to make sure everything worked OK. This utility also checks the read/write status of all the necessary locations that Adagio needs access to.

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 11:24 AM

ok I have a problem, I installed the program on the server, just so you know I i didnt install it from a workstation to the server, the server is a computer not just a network drive. After installing on the computer I went to one of the workstations to install the program, I browsed to the folder that Adagio was install in and selected C:\SOFTRAK\ALLWKST\allwkst.exe and it begins the setup then comes back with an error indicating that I dont have a drive letter selected. Can someone explain to me why it is doing this?

FYI there seems to be a misscommunication, this is a peer to peer setup.

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 01:21 PM

I really need to get this completed as we are paying a second person to do nothing at this point, can someone please help me with this?

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 01:50 PM

It sounds like you really should use the services of an Adagio consultant. See if there is one close to you here .

Adagio program files must be on the same logical drive as seen from all workstations, including the peer-to-peer server.

Create a folder on the server called something convenient (Adagio, Acctg, money )and map it to a drive letter that you can use on all systems. Install Adagio there, using custom install and checking the "workstation files" option.

Do the workstation install on the other systems.

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 01:51 PM

OK so if you are installing to a 'peer-peer' network (the 'server' is actually a workstation), then the rules change a bit as for procedures, but not much. This information is very important to know for us to give the best answers.

The problem is that Adagio is sensitive to the drive letters - when the program is installed, you chose to install to the C drive, local to that machine. But when you go to another machine to run the workstation setup, you are not opening files on a C drive, but a different letter, mapped to C drive on the 'server' machine.

First, uninstall the Adagio program(s) from the workstation.

Next, you need to create a new drive mapping on the workstation that will have the Adagio Programs installed to. The purpose is to have all workstation see the location of the Adagio programs and data on the same drive letter (say G, for example). You have to substitute this drive G for the local root C drive on this station only. All other workstations would see this computer as drive G.

When installing the Adagio programs, don't install to the C drive (C:\softrak\...) but instead this substituted drive (G:\softrak\...). And on the other workstations, look on the G drive for the workstation setup applications (as per Ralph's comments above).

The only difference in your environment is to substitute a drive letter for the local C on the workstation that will have the programs and data.

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 01:55 PM

So what I'm going to do is setup the adagio on the server or third computer, then I will install it on the other 2 computers aswell (I will also install the lan packs on both computers) then I will transfer our exhisting Data directory over to the server and setup the directorys on both computer to retreive there information from that directory. dose this sound like it will solve my problem?

P.S. we have paid over $20 000 for this software and the support its getting a little expencive concidering a adagio consultant charges $100/h.
Posted by: Ryan Brohman

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 02:24 PM

I see it another way: if you've "paid over $20,000 for this software" , to spend only $100/hr to get it setup and running properly is a real steal!

It's like buying a really expensive home theatre system - you don't get full value for your money unless everything is hooked up right - and that means getting a professional.

Peer-to-peer networks are the trickiest installs and many issues can arise that aren't easily addressed in a forum. Not to mention the aggravation of having to wait for the next reply.

I know it's not the help you're looking for but I strongly suggest using the link Ralph provided to locate a consultant in your area.

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 03:57 PM

Posted by: Steve Schwartz

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 10:22 PM

FYI, the one thing you should not do if you want free advice from experts on a tech forum is to complain about the hourly rate of your consultant. And by the way, $100 per hour is ridiculously cheap for a good Adagio consultant, or ridiculously expensive for a bad one.

Steve Schwartz
STEVEN D. SCHWARTZ & ASSOCIATES

Re: installing on network - 08/16/07 10:56 PM

How much has it cost to pay a second person who has "nothing to do?"

If an Adagio consultant had installed this for you (estimate 3 to 4 hours if there are no unusual issues), you would have been up and running, without serious problems, days ago. They know how to do this, that's why they are worth $100/hr (and more).

You still do not seem clear on the process to install the software correctly (based on your last response).

You can keep trying to do it yourself and just get more and more frustrated. Or you can get competent help from someone who has been through this many times and will make it all seem simple.

It's your choice.

Re: installing on network - 08/17/07 07:40 AM

Is this your way of saying your done supporting this issue?

Re: installing on network - 08/17/07 11:21 AM

I am sure that Softrak Tech Support will continue to try to help you. (I am not a Softrak employee; just an experienced consultant who trys to help in this forum when I can.)

Here, from me, is one more try at explaining how to install Adagio on your peer-to-peer network. I am assuming Windows XP Pro on all systems.

1. Uninstall everything you have done to date, on all systems, using the Add/Remove Programs function in the control Panel.

2. On the server system, use Windows Explorer to create a folder called ACCT (for accounting). Then use Explorer to share this folder with the name "ACCT." (Right click on the folder and select "Sharing and Security." Allow useres to change the files.)

3. On the server, in Windows Explorer, select Tools / Map Network Drive. Map Drive M to ACCT on the server.

4. Make sure you are logged in as the user who will be running Adagio, and install Adagio modules from the CD's in any order except that the LanPak cannot be first.

Make sure the programs are installed to Drive M, and that the "Report tables drive" is also set to Drive M. (This should default correctly after the first module is installed, but it does not hurt to to check.)

Use the Custom Install choice and make sure that everything, including Workstation setup files is checked.

Check the option to put a shortcut on the desktop if you wish.

(Hint: put the big serial number stickers in the front cover of the manual and one of the small ones on the CD cover.)

When you are done installing all the modules, using Windows Explorer, go to M:\SOFTRAK\System and run CHKSYS.exe (The .exe may not be visible depending on your Windows settings.) If it reports that Opportunistic Locking must be turned off, allow it to do so and then allow it to reboot the system.

5. Go to each other workstation. Log into the station as the user who will run Adagio. Use Windows Explorer to map Drive M to ACCT on the server.

On each station go to M:\SOFTRAK\ALLWKST and run the program ALLWKST.exe. Select the programs you want that computer user to have access to, one by one, and install them; or install all programs at once using that selection.

Go to M:\SOFTRAK\system and run chksys.exe. Turn off opportunistic locking and reboot if prompted to do so.

6. Start each module, fill out, print and fax the registration forms for all, including the LanPaks. You will get a fax back in a few days that will contain a licence number that will shut off the "nag screens" forever. Until then, just hit "continue" when prompted. (That will work for up to 60 days, but why wait?)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Possible problems:

Windows peer-to-peer networking can be "fickle;" here are some hints I have gleaned from Windows Experts which you can use if you have networkinig problems.

1. In Windows Explorer, select Tools / Folder Options / View. Scroll down and turn OFF (uncheck) "Simple file sharing."

2. In the Windows control panel, under Users, turn off the option to use the welcome screen. This will use the older style prompt for a user name and password.

3. Assign every user a password and add them as users, with the same name and password, on the server.

4. In Windows Explorer, right click on the ACCT folder. Under "Sharing and security," add each of the users and give them full rights. (Adding "everyone" does not work.)

5. When installing from the CD's or from the workstation install, the users must have administrative rights on their own computer. (These can be restricted later if you wish, but will have to be re-established when installing the periodic updates.)

Hope this helps to get you going. It may also give you a hint of why Softrak conducts on-going training for its consultants and recommends that end-users call them.

Re: installing on network - 08/17/07 11:24 AM

ok I apprecite all your help, I called a consultant, the only one in london has never done a peer to peer setup, I'm meeting with him today so we collectivley try to figure this out. The only other consultant that is close is about 2 hours away.

Re: installing on network - 08/18/07 08:29 PM

I think we may have this figured out. This morning the consultant (Neil) and I sat down and worked something out. What we did was we put the data files on a "distro" or file server and did not install the software on that file server. We then install the programs completely on the 2 separate computers that the book keepers are going to be working on. We then directed them both to use the data files on the server. We installed the lan packs on the 2 book keeping computer. Everything seemed to work well. It has not been thoroughly tested (Monday will be the true test). Can anyone see any holes in this plan, or any drastic problems?

Re: installing on network - 08/19/07 08:59 AM

This is not the correct way to install Adagio, and if your consultant recommends such an approach, I think you ought to find another consultant. He is not adequately trained, and is not seeking qualified advice from the Adagio community (such as this forum).

Adagio program files need to be installed on the server, not on individual workstations. You are asking for serious data corruption problems if you break this rule.

Steve

Re: installing on network - 08/19/07 04:38 PM

why do they need to be installed on the server if its not a client server? it is really just acting as a distro. Its simpley holding the files for the other 2 workstations.

Thank-You

Re: installing on network - 08/19/07 05:09 PM

fyi, the next closest consultant is about 2 hours away, so if you don?t feel that the help I currently have isn?t adequate I really need to know what you would do. Any help is appreciated.
I will explain exactly what we have right now.

2 bookkeeper?s
2 computers they work on
Another computer that only the files for adagio are sitting on
The 2 bookkeeper?s computers have adagio installed. 1 of them has all 6 modules installed because she uses all of them and the other has 4 modules installed.
After completing the setup of the software on the 2 bookkeeping computers we changed the pointers for where the software would look for the information to /computer-x/c/adagio/data/ then installed the lan packs on both computers and tested to see if they would work and everything worked fine. As I said in the post before it was a quick test so it was just to see if it would work and it did. If you feel that I'm risking corruption of the data and you have a better idea I'm open to anything. Fyi I did call the other company that?s about 2 hours away and basically they didn?t seem to interested in taking on the issue. I think they were just extremely busy.

Thank-you in advance for any help you may provide.
Posted by: Bruce Gardner

Re: installing on network - 08/19/07 09:13 PM

Hello:

Steve is 110% correct. The Adagio application MUST be installed onto the server with multiple users. Your current approach will appear to work but will ultimately result in data problems. For proper file sharing & file locking, the applications must be installed in one place (the server) so that they can negotiate what happens when 2 users try to update the same data at the same time.

Ralph's response on the 17th is very detailed and accurate. He has distilled his many hours of installation experience into those instructions.

However, if even a single line of his instructions is confusing, please get someone qualified to help you. You've wasted enough of your time. If you want names in south-western Ontario, you can call Softrak Systems and ask for qualified consultants. Their number is 604-736-3741.

For what it's worth, an experienced Adagio reseller can set this up very quickly. Now you need to start thinking about the next steps: training your users, modifying the forms (Invoices, Orders, Cheques, AR Statements), taking advantage of the new features and modifying procedures. I'd suggest that some planning is in order before any further software installation.

Good luck.

Re: installing on network - 08/19/07 10:51 PM

Thank you for yours and Steve?s responses I appreciate it. Just note both the users know how to use the applications, we have been using them since Feb, and the new girl is trained, so that?s taken care of, I still don?t have allot of breathing room in getting this done though.
Ok on to the problem. I have tried Ralph?s directions 3 times, exactly the way he gave them and I had no luck, the consultant said he tried and couldn?t get it to work. At this point I don?t know if that means anything but I'll throw it out there anyway.
I will give it one more go tomorrow before going a different route. I have to be in there before anyone to undo everything done yesterday, I'm going to take both yours and Steve?s advice and undo what was done so the data does not become corrupt. its a little frustrating to pay someone to do this and then find out that they just lead us down the path to losing our data.

Thank-you everyone for all your responses, I appreciate all your help, will update as time goes on, please continue to give the valuable advice.

Re: installing on network - 08/20/07 06:27 AM

ok I followed Ralphs instructions exactly as he put them down and so far so good. Just a few small questions I need cleared up.
1.) After installing the lanpack on the server do I also have to install them on the workstations and when?

2.) When do I install the updates for the programs? Before installing everything on the 2 workstations or after?

Thank-You in advance
Posted by: Ryan Brohman

Re: installing on network - 08/20/07 09:30 AM

1)The lanpack only needs to be installed once - to the server, as the licenses are controlled centrally.

2)You can install the upgrades to the server at any time. Adagio will automatically update the files on the workstation (if necessary) the next time the workstations run the module.

If you require any further help, please call us at (519) 746-3118. We are located in Waterloo, only an hour away. Or if you prefer, we can do most troubleshooting through a remote connection (as long as you have a high-speed internet connection).

Re: installing on network - 08/20/07 11:46 AM

The server is a server whether peer-to-peer or client-server and must be treated as such.

If you are not going to follow what I thought were clear step-by-step instructions, why ask for them? Just blunder ahead, make a mess, and then blame someone else.

(I'm sure the Softrak tech support team is chortling loudly at the frustration expressed by Steve and me. They have seen it all before.)

BTW there is a very experienced consultant in London, Ont. who I have confidence will do it right (and has done lots of peer-to-peer isntallations).

Re: installing on network - 08/20/07 02:22 PM

What are you getting worked up about, I didnt blame anyone for anything. YOU suggested I get the consulant in to help and I did and then YOU said that what we did on saturday would corrupt the data. So I went back to what you origionaly wrote to me and like I said before everything was going fine but I needed 2 points clearifyed. Untill now I only knew of 1 consultant in the area, thanks for pointing out the second. Thank-you Ryan for actully clearifying my questions. Anyway whatever, thanks for the help.

Re: installing on network - 08/20/07 02:40 PM

I appreciate that it can be frustrating when attempting to install a program and it isn't working as well as expected or anticipated. Indeed different environments (client-server, peer-peer, terminal server, etc) all have particular characteristics where 'one size fits all' instructions may not be valid in every case.

To ensure the Lanpaks have installed correctly, open any Adagio program, then go to the Help / About menu choice. If you see licenses such as '0 of 2' or '1 of 5', with the second number being your total number of licenses, then all is great. If you see '1' for the license, then the Lanpak may have been installed to the wrong location, or you have Adagio 8.1A programs but older version 'pre-81A' Lanpaks.

Is there anything else that you would like clarification for, or any other questions you have at the moment? Thanks for using Adagio!

Re: installing on network - 08/20/07 05:17 PM

Everything seems to be working well while using Ralph?s instructions. They were very clear and precise and I thank him. I suspect that I was having trouble before because when uninstalling adagio the table folder does not get uninstalled and I didn?t realize that so I kept getting errors. After deleting that folder then running the WKSETUP.EXE all went great. Thank you everyone for your patience and support with this problem.
Just to clarify, the consultant that had been discussed earlier, in my opinion is a very qualified consultant. Although he did not help with this matter he has been there in the past for all kinds of different issues. I suspect that the reason he was unable to do the peer to peer setup was because it's a pretty confusing setup, there was some miscommunications, and there isn?t a lot of support for it in the manuals. Regardless of how this went I would recommend him in the future.

I appreciate all help with this matter and everyone?s patience.
Thank-You

P.S. I think I now know more about Adagio then I ever desired. lol

Re: installing on network - 08/20/07 08:14 PM

Nonetheless I think you should recommend that your consultant read this thread and take advantage of the consultant training that Softrak provides, either via the web, onsite, or the annual Adagio conference. He should also utilize this forum or the http://www.pluscommunity.com forum when he has questions. We Adagio consultants are here to help, not only end users such as yourself, but also other consultants who want to raise their level of expertise.

There's nothing worse than feeling stupid when someone is paying you by the hour to be an expert. I know from personal experience.

Steve

Re: installing on network - 08/21/07 11:38 PM

Thank-You; I will pass the message along, not that I think he will be very receptive to it, but i will pass it along.
Again thank-you for all your help Steve,Ralph and everyone else.