Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#48570 - 01/14/16 09:51 AM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Softrak Support]
Chris_Smith Offline
Adagio Groupie

Loc: Florida
I am having the same issue.
Thinking it may be infected I reinstalled GV, this obviously had no effect as MS Defender is the culprit. turning off real time protection and excluding both the softrak and gvwin directories doesn't help even after restoring quarantined files. Gridview attempts to open and then disappears similar to it's behavior when you don't have a password for your adagio login.

#48571 - 01/14/16 09:54 AM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Softrak Support]
icbm Offline
Adagio Buff

Loc: Winnipeg, MB
Of our affected clients and internal PCs, all have MSSE's "real time scanning" enabled. One of the workarounds I am trying is to disable real time scanning on client PCs. This changes the MSSE icon in the taskbar to red and alerts the user that the PC is "At risk". It works to solve the issue under Windows 7. A new wrinkle is Windows 10's built in Defender is also detecting these two Adagio programs as viral. You can turn off real time scanning temporarily, but the Windows Defender settings screen warns that Windows will revert that to on automatically eventually.

Telling MSSE to exclude the folders containing Softrak programs doesn't work, the moment the GVWIN.EXE or LedgerFinRep.exe program is executed, even from an excluded folder, it is detected as viral and quarantined.

I have uninstalled MSSE on one client PC and replaced it with AVG Free edition, then replaced their LedgerFinRep.exe file and all is good. On the client using Windows 10, installing AVG disables Windows Defender.

#48577 - 01/14/16 10:47 AM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: icbm]
Warren Karges Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario
I can also confirm that excluding the program location will not prevent MSSE from quarantining the files if real-time scanning is on.

The trojan must be permitted for every running instance of MSSE on the network, otherwise they will all take turns finding and quarantining the files.

This is likely a false-positive, but if the users run into the real version I don't think SE would worry about that either, so I am suggesting SE be replaced to anyone who calls our office with this issue.

Edited by Warren Karges (01/14/16 11:53 AM)

#48578 - 01/14/16 11:45 AM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Warren Karges]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi again, Everyone.

All of our executables are 'signed files' and 'signed files' can't have viruses. Unfortunately, this is a false positive that is being reported and we are working with Microsoft to try and get the issue resolved. Unfortunately, these things do not happen as quickly as any of us would like them to.

#48581 - 01/14/16 11:59 AM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Steve:

This is why we ask our clients not to use Microsoft Essentials. You are asking Softrak to spend money to fix a problem caused by someone else's free software. Doesn't seem like an appropriate use of limited resources.

Originally Posted By: Steve Schwartz
Four clients have now called. This is a nightmare.

Apparently a lot of people use MS Essentials and that isn't going to change. And it has nothing to do with excluding the Softrak folder - Essentials finds it anyway and just removes it - no matter what I rename GVWIN.EXE to or where I put it.

Steve

Edited by Douglas Dickie (01/14/16 12:05 PM)
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#48582 - 01/14/16 12:40 PM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Doug

It's not just MS Essentials

Steve

(from - http://softrak.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/48542/Financial_Reporter#Post48542)

From Microsoft's site:
TrojanSpy:Win32/Nivdort.CW
Alert level: Severe
Also detected as: Trojan.Win32.Agent.ihpl (Kaspersky), Trojan-FHOH!885352259A4D (McAfee), Troj/Nivdort-BV (Sophos), TROJ_BAYROB.SM4 (Trend Micro),

Avast is also picking it up.

We have the corporate version of MS "System Centre Endpoint Protection" and of course it removes it too.

#48583 - 01/14/16 12:58 PM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Dan_Desautels Offline
Adagio Maestro

Loc: Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
Doug,

As I previously reported in the other thread, this is not exclusive to MSSE. I have clients that have been affected using Avast as well. And it has nothing to do with "free" software. We use MS System Center Endpoint Protection and I currently have no access to Financial Reporter.
I assure you BDO pays a large amount of money for SCEP. It has everything to do with the AV definitions.

Also, as reported by Micrososft:
"TrojanSpy: Win32/Nivdort.CW
Also detected as: Trojan.Win32.Agent.ihpl (Kaspersky), Trojan-FHOH!885352259A4D (McAfee), Troj/Nivdort-BV (Sophos), TROJ_BAYROB.SM4 (Trend Micro)"

Simply telling clients not to use MSSE is not a solution considering Avast and Microsoft are #1 and #2 in terms of AV market share worldwide.

#48591 - 01/14/16 01:46 PM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Dan_Desautels]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

For what its worth here is why I disagree:

1. I support more end users than any other Adagio dealer
2. We ask our clients not to use Microsoft Security Essentials or other free and/or inexpensive AV solutions
3. We have had one client with this problem. They are using Microsoft Security Essentials against our advise.

You have to ask these questions:

1. Would you prefer to spend money on a proper AV solution or spend money to solve the problems caused by a free AV solution?
2. Would you prefer that Adagio spend money so that you can use a free AV solution or would you prefer that Adagio spend money improving the features in Adagio.

You could substitute 'inexpensive' for the word free as the AV solutions that we have the most problems with are the ones that are free (Avast & Microsoft) or inexpensive. Kaspersky was a huge pain until be figure out how it needs to be configured (and then we almost never see it), McAfee and Sophos we almost never see so I have no experience, and the managed version of Trend Micro doesn't seem to cause any issues when installed and configured correctly.

We recommend Symantec Endpoint Protection (a managed solution), we use this solution internally, and many of our clients use this solution as well. Yes it costs money to buy and more money every year for maintenance (as its important to keep the AV software current) but we never have a problem with it.
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#48593 - 01/14/16 01:56 PM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Michael Mulrooney Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Quote:
"2. Would you prefer that Adagio spend money so that you can use a free AV solution or would you prefer that Adagio spend money improving the features in Adagio."

There is absolutely nothing Softrak can do to retroactively fix an EXE shipped in 2014 to stop a Virus Checker shipped in 2016 from reporting a "false positive".

We have done all we can, reported the issue of the "false positive" to Microsoft and it is our hope they can do something to correct their "virus database". Time will tell.

#48604 - 01/14/16 02:58 PM Re: GVWIN not working [Re: Michael Mulrooney]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Douglas

How many of your clients have tried to use GridView or Financial Reporter today? I have a feeling that every day this problem will continue to grow and it will affect your clients too.

I have 200 Adagio installs and I heard from about 10 clients today.

I'm not interested in assessing blame to users who chose a cheap AV solution or to dealers who didn't demand that their clients use better AV solutions or to Softrak for not reading Microsoft's mind.

I'm interested in being able to get back to my life, which is very hectic in mid-January with year-ends, new installs, and payroll issues. I'm also interested in making my clients happy with whatever solution to this problem is easiest for them and absolutely works. I'm not sure yet that switching to a different AV solution will absolutely work.

Steve

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1847 Members
5 Forums
14239 Topics
69735 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18