Topic Options
#11288 - 02/12/08 12:33 PM Administrator rights required for Printool???
Andre Kuehnemund Offline
Adagio Guru

Loc: Emeryville, CA U.S.A.
I'm trying to give users access to run Printool, so that they can print Crystal Reports. As long as I make the user a member of the Administrator group (in Windows XP), they can execute the program. If I make them a standard user, the get an access violation and are unable to launch the program. Making the user a member of the Power Users group also seems to work, but I don't want to do that either.

The exact test of the error message is:

"Access violation at address 00403622 in module 'Printool.exe'. Read of address 006AD88B. [OK]

All other Adagio programs appear to run just fine using standard user accounts (once the programs have been installed as an administrative user), so why on earth would this program need elevated privileges? Can this be fixed. Thanks much!

Andre

#11296 - 02/12/08 03:22 PM Re: Administrator rights required for Printool??? [Re: Andre Kuehnemund]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Andre

I don't know the exact answer to your question. However, there are very few reasons for using PrintTool now that you can hang reports right off of an Adagio reports menu.

If your users have access to any Adagio module, let's say for example AP, then you can save the .rpt file in \Softrak\APWin\CustomRP\{Groupname}, where {Groupname} is the security group they are assigned to. Only users with that security group (or higher) will have access to the report if you do it this way.

Steve

#11297 - 02/12/08 03:31 PM Re: Administrator rights required for Printool??? [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Andre Kuehnemund Offline
Adagio Guru

Hi Steve:

Thanks! I'll try that. I seem to recall, though that we tried this with the Key Accounts report you created for us and it didn't work for some reason. I believe you said at the time that the report would have to be run from within Crystal Reports.
Anyway, I'll try and will post the results here.

Thx again!

#11298 - 02/12/08 04:07 PM Re: Administrator rights required for Printool??? [Re: Andre Kuehnemund]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
One possible reason for using PrintTool and not the Custom Reports launch from within Adagio is that you may want to allow someone to print a report but not give them any access to the accounting programs.

Also, due to Crystal Report engine (CRPE32.DLL) scenarios, some reports created in Crystal Reports 8.5 may contain features that older report engines can't recognize. The result would be seeing a 'screen flash' when previewing the report. You can tweak PrintTool to be able to print this report, but this currently can't be tweaked for the Custom Reports menu.

I believe PrintTool pre-dates Windows XP, so we would have to take a look into the situation. You shouldn't be getting that error.

#11299 - 02/12/08 04:21 PM Re: Administrator rights required for Printool??? [Re: Softrak Support]
Andre Kuehnemund Offline
Adagio Guru

I see. Thanks! I thought Printool was a recent addition.

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1847 Members
5 Forums
14237 Topics
69717 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20