Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9804 - 09/10/07 04:27 PM Closing months
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

I am just wondering if there is a function in Adagio receivables and payable which would allow me to prohibit posting into months which are closed. I know that Simply Accounting has this function, but I have not been able to locate it in Adagio.

Thanks a million,
Jenni

#9805 - 09/10/07 06:45 PM Re: Closing months [Re: ]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Jenni

AP and AR don't know about fiscal periods and their status. The only place where you can prohibit posting into closed months is GL, which actually has a fiscal calendar. Isn't that where it's important, anyway?

Steve

#9806 - 09/11/07 11:42 AM Re: Closing months [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Ralph Allan Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Loc: Prince George BC
The closest function in AP and AR is a setting in the Compnay Profile that provides a warning if the entered date is more than xx days away from today (default 30).

#9807 - 09/11/07 01:26 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Ralph Allan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do have the warning message in Payables and Receivables enabled to the default setting... unfortunately since we do not have the ability to disable posting into a closed off month we are having occassional troubles in our GL when we have a temporary member of staff or a new member of staff forget and post into a closed off month.

Thanks a mill for your help anyways.

#9808 - 09/11/07 01:52 PM Re: Closing months [Re: ]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

You shouldn't be having troubles in the GL if you close the period there. Closing a period in GL is reversible if you decide you do want to reopen it.

#9850 - 09/16/07 08:55 AM Re: Closing months [Re: Steve Schwartz]
BAMPH Offline
Paradise is perspective

Loc: Christ Church, BARBADOS
Hello,

Just wanted to say that I'm with Jenni on this. To my mind, the primary reason for "closing" a perion in GL's Fiscal Caendar is to prevent posting to the period.

I believe that if one has decided to "close" a period in GL, no sub-ledger postings should be allowed to that GL account, including the ability to prevent the posting in the sub-ledgers themselves.

My preference would be for the validation to start at the point of entering a transaction Date (GL and Subs) where not only the "xx Days from today" is checked but the GL Fiscal Period Status in the Fiscal Calendar would also be validated and an appropriate "warning" displayed.

The warning would allow for instances where users validly needed to post to closed GL periods, by allowing users to save (but not post/day-end[more validation]) those transactions until an individual with the appropriate GL security re-opened the Fiscal Period.

While I'm sure that Jenni and I are not aware of all of the implications/complexity of our wishes; we can dream :-)

#9851 - 09/16/07 07:00 PM Re: Closing months [Re: BAMPH]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Hi Peter

I guess we just disagree. What you are describing would not work in practice unless the AP clerk and the GL clerk are the same person. I can just imagine an AP clerk not being able to pay a bill using the right date because somebody closed a GL fiscal period. The uproar that would cause! The general theory about separation of duty is that an AP clerk should just be able to do his/her work, without having to think about GL implications (other than coding to the proper account).

The best practice is to print a subledger report that agrees to the GL balance right before closing the fiscal period. If you are afraid of losing the printout, print to file as well. What can be the objection to that, especially since there is no time restriction on how many days after actual period-end this can be done?

Steve

#9852 - 09/17/07 04:01 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Steve,

I do not think this is a matter of agreeing or disagreeing - I think it comes down to differences in what we need Adagio to do.

When something is posted in a month in the subledger for a month which has been closed in the GL the financials are skewed since the subledger does not have the ability to prohibit posting in closed months. This IS problem as once the month is closed in the GL the financials are sent to the bank and published and in Canada it is illegal to modify your financial records once they are published.

The 30 days notification is helpful, however when you have a temporary member of staff who is unfamiliar with all the functions, they will post in previous months as the ledger will still let them.

Closing a month in both the GL and the subledger is a very standard feature.

We are already changing invoice dates we receive once a month has been closed in the GL to a date in the current month in order to ensure our financials in the GL are not skewwed, this has not caused any problems. It does however cause troubles when someone posts something in a previous month as noted above. When doing AP we do have to be concerned with the GL and I find it very unfortunate that Adagio does not have this basic function in order to ensure financials comply with the laws in Canada as this software is sold here.

#9853 - 09/17/07 04:15 PM Re: Closing months [Re: ]
Ralph Allan Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Loc: Prince George BC
Jenni,

There are occasions where the subledgers are run in a different office from the Ledger. Thus, a common "Period close" would not work.

Do you think that a simple "Disallow posting before" date in Company Profile in Payables would work? It would have to be changed each month, but security could be set to only allow certain people to change it if that is an issue.

If so, we can suggest it to the programmers for a future release of subledgers, which is in the planning stages now.

#9854 - 09/17/07 04:50 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Ralph Allan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

A simple "disallow posting before" function would be absolutely brilliant! That is exactly what I am looking to do.

Ralph, you are a star!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1847 Members
5 Forums
14239 Topics
69728 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18