Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#22572 - 06/04/10 10:13 AM Re: Ledger Export to Excel or CVS incorrect number for [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Jeffrey Marshall Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

Loc: Vancouver
The issue is this:
Softrak is saying it's a Microsoft issue.
I'm saying it's a softrak import/export issue because since the option to export to dbf was removed in April of 2008, we have used the export to excel with no issues and that includes version 8 of ledger, version 9.0A, 9.0B, and 9.0C it worked. The service pack that came out on 100511, that I noticed it also fixed a couple of import/export issues for the 9.0C release from April.

We already pay for the full Softrak Support and upgrade plan so I don't think you could help, but thanks for the offer.

#22575 - 06/04/10 01:09 PM Re: Ledger Export to Excel or CVS incorrect number for [Re: Jeffrey Marshall]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I agree that the tug of war between developers can be annoying, sometimes they are right and sometimes I've proved them wrong.

Sometimes it just takes a fresh set of idependent eyes to see the real problem and get it resolved. There are very few people at Softrak who have more experience with Adagio than I do. Also getting your hands dirty by actually working directly with the data and import file may reveal more than what comes out in this forum.
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#22578 - 06/04/10 02:39 PM Re: Ledger Export to Excel or CVS incorrect number for [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Jeffrey Marshall Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

Loc: Vancouver
Thanks for that Doulas,
I know what you mean, after 22 years in IT including 5 years as second tier support for a software development company; I have been on both sides of the telephone receiver in cases like this. Since Softrak want to say it’s an Excel problem, that’s fine with me. Myself and a programmer have determined how to make the changes to our processes to get this to work.

The only way that is going to work (Other than enabling dbase import/exports in the ledger.ini file, because we view this as a step backwards, and don’t want to do an upgrade to find it’s been removed again), is to do the following:
1. Change all our export templates to export to CVS delimited and use the txt file extension.
2. If the file requires editing in excel this will force the excel import wizard to process the files.
3. We can then set the formatting to any column we need to txt (if a cvs extension is used excel 2007 will not run the import wizard).
The next steps are one-time steps that cost us allot of money (we went through this when dbase was removed as a file type).
4. We have 7 or 8 programs that will need to be rewritten to take the txt file and converts it to dbase.
5. Then we have to test each program to the satisfaction of the CFO and compliance officer.
6. Then we have to update all the effected procedures that user are required to follow.
And this does not cover the cost of myself and a programmer working for 3 days on nothing but this issue.

For your offer of fresh eyes on the data/templates, nothing in the data or the templates have changed (other than we’re up to about 31300 accounts). Once the templates were updated 2 years ago we have had no issues with using excel export. Everything worked fine at the end of April. No Windows or Office patches were applied in May (because they all have to be tested before deployment). The only change in the system was the installation of Ledger 9.0C and the service pack 100511.

So on Monday when I outline the changes we’ll need to make to the Finance Department and compliance officer, I will be surprised if I’m not asked the question “Are we getting value from this product based on what we’re paying for it?” While it’s not the worst product I have to support, and in the past Softrak has been helpful, I get a bit testy when the first thing I’m told is “Not our fault, it’s that other company”.

Thanks for your help.

#22579 - 06/04/10 03:11 PM Re: Ledger Export to Excel or CVS incorrect number for [Re: Jeffrey Marshall]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi Jeffery,

To answer your original question - yes, something did change in the underlying method for importing or exporting records in Adagio Ledger 9.0C. Indeed when exporting accounts or other records using version 9.0B, a value of 21E083 did not get converted by Excel to 2.1E+84, but it does now when using Adagio Ledger 9.0C. Because of that, it is worthwhile for Softrak to see if there is anything in the formatting of string fields that can be modified to correct this when using Export.

Indeed Softrak is not solely to blame for the interpretation of the field value 21E083 into a Scientific format. This is because if you type this into a blank Excel spreadsheet, Excel changes the format - unless you type a leading apostrophe with the value, ie '21E083. This needs to be mentioned as part of the explanation of the problem.

If you use the Excel Direct button either directly from the Edit Accounts screen or from the SmartFinder using Adagio Ledger 9.0C, I can confirm that the department code does not get re-formatted to a scientific value but instead maintains the correct value.

I can also confirm that using Adagio GridView to create an inquiry on the Ledger account master file and exporting to Excel also maintains the correct value for departments. Perhaps using GridView to create (and even automate) the account exports can be of even greater value, because you wouldn't have to run each export manually.

#22582 - 06/04/10 05:35 PM Re: Ledger Export to Excel or CVS incorrect number [Re: Softrak Support]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
and to finish...

Excel is quite capable of writing a DBF file, and you could also record a macro in Excel to automate the process. I don't understand why you need to hire a programmer to convert your TXT file to DBF. If you're gong to hire a progammer, why not have him read the CSV directly?

The reason we are pointing at Excel is the the CSV file is correctly formatted and it is Excel that has the problem when you read the data to change it. Have you changed the version of Excel you are using? If you made the necessary change in Notepad there wouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy the weekend.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18