Topic Options
#61892 - 09/23/19 10:30 AM Dot Matrix printing out of Adagio
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
A client who owns Adagio uses ACCPAC Plus OE to print their forms because they are comfortable using it to print on dot matrix printers. A major reason is the need for signatures having to carry through multiple parts. This is the most important issue holding them back from fully converting over to Adagio.

Does anyone on this forum print their OE forms to dot matrix printers? Would you be willing to share your (hopefully positive) experience with this client, including any compromises you had to make.

Please don't try to convince them that they really don't need dot matrix printers. I've been fighting and losing that battle for at least 10 years!

Thanks

Steve

#61894 - 09/23/19 11:39 AM Re: Dot Matrix printing out of Adagio [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
Buy a dot matrix printer with a Windows driver. They exist.

#61895 - 09/23/19 11:39 AM Re: Dot Matrix printing out of Adagio [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Steve:

We have at least one client (maybe more) still printing Adagio OE spec files to DOT Matrix for the same reason.

Our (and my clients) experience has been positive. We will only support the Okidata ML320 DOT Matrix printer (experience with other brands has not been positive). They are using a pre-printed form.

I'd be wiling to share.

Edited by Douglas Dickie (09/23/19 02:41 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#61913 - 09/24/19 06:58 PM Re: Dot Matrix printing out of Adagio [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Bruce Gardner Online   content
Adagio Wizard

Loc: Toronto ON, Canada
Hi Steve:

I agree with your client that there is some value in multi-part forms for Pick Slips.

For the first time in years, I modified an Adagio OE specification file to print to a dot matrix printer this week. I had forgotten the pain!
  • I found that I had problems if I used the correct driver for the printer (hard to position & slow to print)
  • I created a new Windows printer and used the "Generic/Text Printer" driver rather than the driver that matches the printer.
  • Changed to a Courier font
  • There will be a lot of testing. Unlike with a laser printer, It would be best to test with their printer.
  • Remember WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get)? This won't be like that. You'll need to place fields in places that look wrong on-screen, but print correctly.
  • For that reason, you really need to see the results when they come out of the printer, which pretty much means being on-site.
  • It will take longer than you think. Anticipate some cursing and swearing!

#61914 - 09/25/19 06:43 AM Re: Dot Matrix printing out of Adagio [Re: Bruce Gardner]
Bob Wisener Offline
Adagio Conductor

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I agree with Bruce's comments. Choose the generic printer driver and draft mode on the printer for speed. I also choose Ledger paper size on the printer if you have problems with multi-paged prints. Choose Courier. Sometimes I've chosen SmallFont to avoid spacing issues. As Bruce said budget ample time to get it right. Test multiple documents in one run and multi-page documents. It can get thrown off. Okidata if you can find it.

#61920 - 09/25/19 12:25 PM Re: Dot Matrix printing out of Adagio [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Brian Stief Offline
Waterloo Guy

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hi All,
We are in the final stages of testing and demo'ing our LInk2Pickit program that replaces multi-part Pickslip forms with an Android app that essentially is a soft copy pickslip solution. Program specs and brochure content will be on our Link2Systems website shortly. Link2Pickit runs on a WIFI network so you need either WIFI access point wiring in your warehouses or WIFI hotspot connections to your smartphone. Needs Android 6.0 version or higher.

This is not a WMS solution but an app to resolve inefficiency issues common to the Adagio Order Entry Sale Order fulfillment processing.

You, as the picker are identified as the user when the item is picked and generates a traveller pickslip to staging (to identify the order, who picked, and is attached to the picked items). The person who validates the pick (assuming you validate shipments) is also identified, and a final pickslip can be printed (hardcopy for shipping) or image copy is created upon validation to attach for DocStore. As soon as the picker starts to pick the order, the print status on the open sales order is updated to "picking slip printed".

When the picked order is validated by staging for shipping, the recorded shipped quantities are automatically updated back to Adagio Sales Order on the open order shipped quantities and flagged for auto-invoicing. We use our Invoicing flag to filter out the orders that are ready to be invoiced or auto-invoiced. The rest is normal order entry.

We have eliminated pickslips with multipart forms in Adagio Order Entry. We have eliminated the forms movement from Shipping back to Order Entry for invoicing. We have eliminated the data entry (and potential keying errors) at the invoicing processing stage because the validated shipped quantity is now on the order to be auto-invoiced. We are using the auto invoice feature of OE 9.3A with a filter on the now used optional header field that that actually identifies those orders that need to be invoiced. We are eliminating the requirement for any Dot Matrix printers and drivers for printing (for pickslips). We are eliminating the requirement for auto-staplers on laser printer so you can attach multiple laser copies. We are eliminating the requirement for coated laser paper stock. Believe it or not it is 2019, not 1989.

And if you are lucky enough to use the Ship2Link module (from Link2Systems), then the shipping tracking number(s), the date of shipment, and the shipment charges would have been written back to the sales order before you invoice the shipment from your courier's shipping system.

And if double lucky, you could use the Link2Pickit as the completed packing slip form for our new product Sign4It for proof of delivery (signatures) on Adagio forms, that integrates with DocStore.

Please, stop looking for dot matrix printers and windows printer drivers for dot matrix printers, when you can look at available alternative solutions from 3rd party developers.

We are installing this application initially in 6 client sites this fall, and welcome other opportunities to show our Link2Pickit solution for pickslips in Adagio Order Entry.

The Link2Pickit app retails for $150 per month per site location. If you have multiple warehouses then you will need additional licences. Licencing is for unlimited Android devices. This app includes unlimited support.

This is a great new solution add-on for Adagio Order Entry.

Thanks,
Brian

#61924 - 09/25/19 05:09 PM Re: Dot Matrix printing out of Adagio [Re: Brian Stief]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Brian

Please move your post to a new topic. My original post explicitly requests not to try to convince my client that they don’t need a dot matrix printer.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Steve Schwartz (09/26/19 10:35 AM)

#61934 - 09/26/19 09:05 PM Re: Dot Matrix printing out of Adagio [Re: Bob Wisener]
Bruce Gardner Online   content
Adagio Wizard

Loc: Toronto ON, Canada
Bob:

Thank you for the tip on using Ledger size paper in the Printer Properties. The Pick Slip wasn't paging correctly (each subsequent page moved further up the sheet), but using Ledger solved the problem.

The Okidata ML 320/321 printers support 3 emulations. The emulation that seems to work best is Epson (adjusted on the printer itself).

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1847 Members
5 Forums
14237 Topics
69716 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20