Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#13711 - 07/23/08 05:32 PM specifications options
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

Loc: langley
We have many users setup in many modules. We currently have a Toronto person training in BC. I went to check her user specified options for printer / forms etc in the OE module (newest version) and she came up with all BC specifications, not the Toronto ones she normally has. Where are the specifications stored? does the user have to be logged into windows as the same user....doesn't make sense to me but neither does the BC stuff being where the Ontario specs were.

Edited by Bruce (07/23/08 05:33 PM)

#13712 - 07/23/08 05:40 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
Hi Bruce,

The printer settings are stored with the workstation (presumably in Toronto).

#13714 - 07/23/08 05:48 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

my concept is the remote login to the server, we run all adagio from the servers, would keep the specifications tied to the users so they could log in anywhere & be at their desk. If it stores in the windows desktop I can then understand.
What prompted this is actually a different problem that is reported to be only OE. The printers jump around from the preset specifications in the options. They will work mostly & then jump to a different branch totally.

#13715 - 07/23/08 07:06 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi Bruce,

I assume this is a connection over a Terminal Server? Are you aware if the connection is being dropped? We have heard of irregularities with default specs and printers (both saved in the Windows Registry by Adagio), outside of Adagio's control.

Here is another thread on the forum regarding this:
Link to posting

#13726 - 07/24/08 11:13 AM Re: specifications options [Re: Softrak Support]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

yes we do use terminal server. The sessions are set at 3 hours so that should never be the problem. The situation happens with OE mostly but that is the most used. The user can be established & printing to the correct local printer via the VPN (the options are set correctly) & then on the next document the program has the wrong printer displayed & if you proceed it will print to the wrong printer. If the user logs out & signs back in just to the module they go back to the correct print setup & it holds until the next time. This happens at our branch offices that are remotely connected but not at the head office where we use the same type of remote connections to the terminal server.
BELOW IS A PROGRAM GLITCH.
We (read you)have a different problem in Purple. the options set up is universal, not user specific. If we have user #1 set a specific printer & then user #2 changes it it changes on the module for all users. Doesn't work the same as the Adagio written program.

#13750 - 07/24/08 10:19 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Bruce:

To answer your question the settings are stored in the registry for each user. In theory then each user can log into the terminal server from anywhere and get their settings (assumes they have enough rights to maintain their settings in the registry). There are some settings (not sure if OE specs are one of them) that are also stored in the registry with a tag linked to the Adagio login user. For that reason I aways recommend that each user always logs into the terminal server and Adagio with their own unque user id and password (for both Windows and Adgaio).

I agree that Purple PO works differently, unfortunately its not a bug but just that the developers decided to store this information in the INI file rather than the registry. This problem can be overcome with PrintBoss. I don't anticipate that the developers of PO (PurpleSoft) will be changing this anytime soon.
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#13827 - 07/30/08 01:46 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

We are continuing to investigate the printers switching. It looks like it happens when a different user enters the module. The OE then picks up the specified printer from the new user. Are we missing a "lock" in our system setup?

#13829 - 07/30/08 02:49 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Ralph Allan Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Loc: Prince George BC
Could you define a duplicate printer just for use by PO? (Sane driver, just different name,)

Would that at least prevent the problem from "spreading" to the Adagio modules?

#13831 - 07/30/08 03:51 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Ralph Allan]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

Ralph I don't worry about the PO printer. We just know to watch & be sure where we are. the OE printer changing while you are logged in is a pain. You print 6 invoices to the right place ....make no changes , stay in the OE module the next invoice prints in a different branch. someone in that branch had logged into the OE module & the existing users defaults change to the new persons defaults. That's a pain in the butt.

#13839 - 07/30/08 05:28 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Bruce,

Does User A ever log into the second company being opened by User B? Also, do the default specifications in each company have the same name (description - set in the Specification Options)? Also, do users ever go into File | Options and change the default specifications?

Thanks for pin-pointing what steps cause the specification to change.

#13840 - 07/30/08 09:02 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Everybody should re-read this thread, which I think is related if not identical:

http://www.softrak.com/ubbthreads/ubbthr...;gonew=1#UNREAD

#13841 - 07/30/08 09:37 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Steve,

It's related, but not identical.

Kevin was complaining about the printer changing, Bruce is complaining about the specification changing.

#13906 - 08/06/08 01:42 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

user A & user B are logging into the same data & the same company. The program is on the server not the desktop. They would have sufficient rights to maintain their individual settings that are set in the OE module. We set user profile for printers & form specification. We share the OE (& all others) modules with branches set up for inventory locations. The other modules don't change or not often but again there are less people going into them. It looks like the joining into an open session causes user A to get user B settings. We are contemplating uninstall & reinstall of the OE as we have tried many other things. What should I watch for on the reinstall, setup or do you have any other suggestions you would like us to try 1st, or confirm in the existing settings?
Thanks

#13972 - 08/12/08 12:43 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

Andrew the printers are what is changing to the most recent login defaults from a different office. The circumstance is identical to that described in Steve's quiry about printers & server.

#13973 - 08/12/08 12:45 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

Steve we are talking about the exact same thing. Did they get a cure?

#13974 - 08/12/08 01:20 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

No

#13982 - 08/12/08 06:20 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

we are looking at putting Print Boss in place to cover a different need. It may cure this also but if it doesn't we will be hooped as we need to auto sort the print locations on web orders & having a printer change would be very painfull & expensive.

#13986 - 08/12/08 07:00 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Bruce,

Could you have each of your users go into "File | Options", change something, exit, and go and change it back?

The specifications are stored by user in the registry (now), but they used to be stored in a file called WINOPT.xxx (or something). Perhaps this is why the problem is intermittent.

(Having said that, I'd strongly recommend PrintBoss as a complete solution to a myriad of document handling problems. I would like to try and get to the bottom of what's causing the behaviour you're seeing though).

#13998 - 08/14/08 11:01 AM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

intermittent is a interesting word. Does that cover daily & multiple times daily?

we have had new users, in the past two weeks set up & we went to a totally fake user with a different server configeration (ask tracey @ berkhart)& they still had printers changing when another user entered the OE module with different defaults in their setup.
I will get everyone to change a printer default & then change them back. will be able to report back in a day or so.
Tracey was suggesting we try to delete OE & reinstall in case of coruption in a file. Because there is a similar situation in the USA I feel this may not be valid. What is involved in cleaning OE at registry level & reinstalling?
Setting up print boss, my understanding is we direct various forms to specific printers & we can put additional qualifiers like postal codes into play. What is in PrintBoss for Adagio that is not in the off the shelf version? FYI If I had to purchase print boss just for this problem I would be screaming.

#14010 - 08/14/08 02:08 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Bruce,

"Intermittent" can also mean that it only gets reported to us from specific sites (not others) and then fades from view. Yours is the first site that has actually documented the sequence of steps that makes the problem occur. Your site is unusual in that you are managing multiple company databases on the same terminal server. We are going to try and re-create that environment here and see if we can figure out what might be happening. One of the upgrades to OrderEntry moved where we stored the information about default specs and printers from a single file for a company to a workstation registry setting. It's possible that some of your workstations are picking up the file setting because their registry has never been updated. As I said, we'll try and re-create your specific configuration and see if we can duplicate the behaviour in a space where we can inspect what the program is doing. I wouldn't bother uninstalling and re-installing OrderEntry. You could edit the file OEWININI.dat and remove the following sections:
Code:
[Invoice]
Printer=
Spec=Invoice: Softrak Style
Start=
Last=zzzzzzzz

[Order Confirmation]
Printer=
Spec=Order: Softrak Style
Start=
Last=zzzzzzzz

[Credit Note]
Printer=
Spec=Credit: Softrak Style
Start=
Last=zzzzzzzz

[Picking Slip]
Printer=
Spec=Picking List
Start=
Last=zzzzzzzz

if you find them. Those sections are no longer used in Adagio OrderEntry V8.1B

Your description of the problem has also raised a problem with the location we are using to store the printer and document defaults. Since these are stored by use (workstation), then there is only a single default for all companies that user references. I think that might be a contributing factor to the behaviour you're seeing.

PrintBoss can send different copies [b]to different printers [i]in different sequences (one by customer, one by invoice number)[/bi] - something Adagio will never be able to do. It can also email copy 1 and print copy 2 and fax copy 3. Very few companies need this powerful document management, but PrintBoss solve virtually all document managing issues for them.

I do understand the hassle this is causing you and appreciate the time you have spent figuring out the circumstances that recreate the problem. Thanks for your patience.

#14011 - 08/14/08 03:13 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

For what it's worth, my client who has been experiencing this problem is using OE 8.1A. At this point they are convinced that Adagio isn't robust enough for their needs and are in the process of evaluating other software. This is the exact issue that is making them doubt Adagio's robustness.

Network issues such as this are not my forte, and I don't want to spend time looking foolish grasping at straws trying to diagnose the issue. If someone at Softrak wants to contact them, I'd be happy to provide the contact info - they are very tech savvy.

Steve

#14013 - 08/14/08 05:02 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Steve,

Does your client run multiple companies in different databases?

#14014 - 08/14/08 05:33 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Hi Andrew

Yes, they have two companies, but the employees either work in one or the other, and one of them has much more activity than the other.

Steve

#14015 - 08/14/08 06:26 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Steve,

Will the same employee at the same workstation occasionaly open the second company? If they do that, do they open a second instance of OrderEntry, or do they close the current instance and open the second company?

#14017 - 08/14/08 10:52 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

I have emailed my client and asked them to chime in. Better you should hear the answers directly from them.

Steve

#14021 - 08/15/08 12:18 AM Re: specifications options [Re: Bruce]
Kate Spontak Offline
Adagio Pro

Loc: New Jersey
Posted by Victor B. on the other thread

Hi Kevin,

The terminal server creates separate session ID for each user log in. Every time the session expires, user has to log in again, session ID changes and attached printer sessions IDs as well (not only for this user). I would suggest the following:
- Configure RDC session to be long enough for all business day
- use specific printer for required specifications.

Victor

Assigning a specific printer, even if it is the same as the default printer, may resolve the problem.

#14027 - 08/15/08 04:08 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Kate Spontak]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

andrew I did as you asked & had everyone change a printer spec, save , get out , back in, out again & then back in & resave to the correct printer. this did absoutely nothing. If you want to be on our site we are near so give me a call.
the problem is always when a 2,3 or subsequent user joins a open module. the module grabs the settings from the newest user. If the old user changes back all stays correct until another new user joins. kate...time outs do not enter into this.

#14028 - 08/15/08 04:12 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

Sorry Andrew just read the early version. I will check our file registry.
We are really at this point only using one data base. we merged last Xmas the 3 to one. we do keep a test data for play .

#14325 - 09/04/08 02:32 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everyone –

I am the client of Steve Schwartz that has been experiencing the Terminal Service printer redirect problem with Adagio. Here is as complete a description of the problem and the environment that I can put together. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them promptly. (I had been on vacation just when this all started to surface again on the Forum).

1) We use Accpac (Windowing System 6.5, Order Entry 6.1B, Accounts Receivable 6.1A, and the GL – not sure which version).

2) We use Adagio Order Entry 8.1A (070826), database version 1.12.54.2407, Accounts Receivable 8.1A (070920), Sales Analysis, FX and Gridview. We do not use Adagio for GL.

3) We mostly use Adagio for OE and AR but sometimes use Accpac.

4) We run two separate companies with completely separate databases.

5) We are two separate locations. The main locations, where the servers are, uses a straight connection to the databases. They do not use Terminal Server. There are no problems to speak of in that environment. However, almost all Order Entry is done at the remote location. We also connect sometimes from various homes.

6) That location connects to Adagio and Accpac using Citrix Presentation Server 4.0. Citrix is a layer on top of Terminal Server. All of this resides in its own separate server, which then communicates with the File Server (where the Adagio/Accpac databases reside). Both servers are running Windows Server 2003 with Terminal Services enabled.

7) We connect sometimes using published applications and sometimes using a Desktop. The connection is over the public Internet.

8) The problem occurs mostly with Order Entry (which is where we do almost all of our printing).

9) We will connect to Order Entry and print an invoice or confirmation. The first time it USUALLY goes right to the default printer (but not always).

10) Sometimes it will print several in a row that are fine. Normally, however, it will print to any random printer that it selects from the list of printers that are connected through Citrix. It seems that it might have been influenced by someone else running a print job through Citrix but when we tested this we weren’t able to duplicate it reliably. Some days we will have to get in and out of Adagio EVERYTIME we print. Other days it will go almost all day without a problem. (By the way we see the printer that it wants to print to before printing so we don’t actually print all over the place unless we don’t look first). What SEEMS to be happening is that the printer location will switch whenever someone else connects to Adagio (or maybe even Accpac). This might only be if the Print Dialog box is open. We have seen this happen, for instance, if a person has the Print Dialog Box open and then checks a customer in Accpac. I can’t be certain it is JUST when the Print Dialog Box is open. I just a situation where I opened the Print Dialog Box as another person was trying to print. I got her Printer in my Dialog box and she had NO printer in hers!

11) We have the printer specification set to “default”. We have tried specifying specific printers (for instance we have one “Network” printer that is not auto-created by Citrix and we have tried to set that as the only printer OE is supposed to print to).

12) The users cannot access any of the other auto-created printers with any other program. ) In Citrix typically you can see a list of printers that are connected. However, you generally don’t have access to any of these unless they are network printers (as opposed to auto created printers).

13) This happens for anything we print out of OE (confirmations, invoices, etc.)

14) Each user has a unique ID and password.

15) Users do not change specifications (except during our testing).

16) OE is done exclusively with one company. The other company does not use OE in either Adagio or Accpac.

17) I have tried to see if it is caused by a new user logging onto Adagio (no) or when another user prints in Adagio (no). There just doesn’t seem to be a consistent pattern.

18) One strange thing is that it doesn’t pick all the printers – just some. This may be because only certain people are logged into Adagio – not sure of this.

19) Typically no other software is being run when someone is working in Order Entry.

20) I notice in the Windows Registry setting for Invoices for OE the following: Name=(Default), Type = REG_SZ, Data = (value not set). Printer and Spec, also REG_SZ types have no Data settings. I’m not sure what this is supposed to be or how I would check to see if it being changed. I did open up BEFORE OE opened and then AFTER OE opened and I saw the same settings.

21) The users seem to have permission to change registry settings, although I am not 100% sure about this.

I appreciate it if we can find an answer. I have had my Citrix Network tech people all over it and they can’t figure out anything wrong with the Windows or Citrix settings. It makes it very inconvenient to use right now because it takes a few minutes to get into and out of Adagio every time you have to reset the printer setup.

#14327 - 09/04/08 03:47 PM Re: specifications options [Re: ]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the detailed description of the environment and the doumentaton of the steps you've already taken trying to make the problem consistently repeatable.

Issues like this can be very difficult to track down and we appreciate your patience and co-operation.

#14333 - 09/04/08 04:55 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hello Steve (and Bruce)

Here are a few more questions we'd like answers to:
  • We don't know what a "Citrix auto generated printer" is. Can you elucidate us a little? When do they get generated? Are they generated before or after Adagio launches?
  • When you have specified to print to the "Windows Default Printer", the program just asks Windows for the name as it displays the Print Form dialog. If you select the "Windows | Printers" panel from the Start button, what printer is Windows showing as the default? Adagio is not changing the default Windows printer.
  • You are not having any problems with the specification that is being printed, just which printer it is going to - is that correct? Bruce was having problems with the specification file changing.
  • We assume the workstation machines are running XP. Is that correct?
  • When you refer to logging out, and logging back in, are you referring to ending the remote session entirely, or just ending the Adagio session and restarting it?

Thanks for any further observations either of you can provide.

#14530 - 09/24/08 02:58 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Retired_Guy]
Terry Pennock Offline
Terry

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Hi Bruce,

Has there been any resolution to your problem with OE switching printers in a Terminal Server Session? We have a client that is experiencing the same issue. They will work for weeks, then suddenly the printer will change to one normally used by another user.

Terry
terry@islandmicro.com
www.islandmicro.com

IMS Applications:
CounterSales . JobTracker . POTracker . LabelPrint . LotTracker . SerialTracker . IMScheduler . ReportGen
JobTracker can now use ServiceTracker to track jobs performed on Equipment and Machines.

Call for more information on our applications or to arrange a Demo.

#14727 - 10/09/08 06:30 PM Re: specifications options [Re: Terry Pennock]
Bruce Offline
Adagio Guru

sorry guys & girls I have been traveling & busy.
To recap we run XP on desktops. the server on win server 2003.
We specify the printers in all modules. Our observation is when someone new logs into the system their credentials & printer specifications over-ride the user. when the user exits & re-enters their specified printers are in place but they can over-ride the existing user. If we just change the selected printer all is good until the 3rd person enters with different printers...then it is a crap shoot if it changes & to what. We just watch for it & change before printing. When in a rush we forget to change & we print in the wrong spots.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18