Topic Options
#10826 - 01/15/08 03:20 PM Version 9.0
Holiday Offline
Adagio Guru

Loc: Canada
Hi, I haven't yet loaded version 9.0 as I was in the middle of my year end reporting. I am now ready to roll my old year to new. Should I get 9.0 loaded prior to performing my 'close year' functions, or does it matter if I do it after. If I remember correctly, version 9.0 will retain history. Therefore if I perform the close year function and then have someone load version 9.0 next week, will my new gl year have the 2007 history? Logically, I'm thinking that I probably have to load version 9.0 first to be able to have history. Is there anything different that I need to do in the roll process?

Also I noticed that someone loaded 9.0 but then the report writer didn't work. I'm concerned with loading 9.0 if this is the case as I really need the report writer right now??

Let me know, thanks!!!

Sue P from Kelowna

#10833 - 01/15/08 05:49 PM Re: Version 9.0 [Re: Holiday]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi, Sue,

I think that one definite advantage to loading GL9 prior to performing your year end is that your current year detail transactions will all be immediately available within GL9 and you would be able to take advantage of GL9's 'soft' year end.

With GL9's 'soft' year end, you are able to have a maximum of 2 years of data available to post to at any one time. This means that, in GL9, you could decide to leave your current year open longer to capture additional year end entries that might present themselves (late, stray invoices and year end adjusting entries) and also create the NextYear and begin posting to it all within the same dataset. Both year's data are now available for reporting also (eg. Detail Listing, etc.).

When you are ready, you would Close the Income & Expense Accounts for the current year and Closed the Current Fiscal Year in GL9. (Then, you would still have 2 years of data available to post to -- the current year and the prior year.)

It is true, however, that you could continue to close your current year and create the next in your old version of GL and still retrieve the prior year's transaction detail at a later date into your GL9 dataset. (Make sure you don't convert your prior year data to GL9 as the 'retrieve prior year transactions' feature runs on prior GL version data only at this time.)

Are you referring to the financial reporter not working? It works very well in GL9. I believe the problem you are referring to is one occurred for a very specific situation for a couple of clients only. Did you use a different fiscal year end last year than you are using this year? This is a more isolated situation that does not occur for the majority of users.

#10842 - 01/15/08 08:19 PM Re: Version 9.0 [Re: Softrak Support]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Sue

I read Softrak's reply, and it is very thorough, but I want to add my two cents anyway.

I strongly recommend installing 9.0 PRIOR to performing year-end. Not only for the reasons Softrak mentions above, but also because then you won't even HAVE to perform year-end right away. You can get the new fiscal year going by opening up the new year, and then perform year-end days, weeks or months later. 9.0 can keep two fully functioning years open at the same time.

Steve

#10862 - 01/17/08 12:47 PM Re: Version 9.0 [Re: Holiday]
Holiday Offline
Adagio Guru

Loc: Canada
Thanks Steve, These 'soft' year ends will be very welcome!! I look forward to having them implemented. Thanks for your reply.

Sue

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1850 Members
5 Forums
14296 Topics
69957 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17