Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9855 - 09/17/07 05:21 PM Re: Closing months [Re: ]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
Hello all,

Why not just have a "Disallow posting to closed period" option? or would you rather be able to specify a specific date?

#9856 - 09/17/07 06:20 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Retired_Guy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is a margin of error in using dates in that if the format is entered wrong it the prohibition of posting would be incorrect.

To have a "disallow posting to closed period" option would work in theory, as long as it was able to be revoked by an administrator in the system just in case something did have to be posted in a prior period.

I just spoke to our controller for her input as she has worked with numerous accounting systems, and she advised one system utilized check boxes to allow/disallow posting in particular months

ex: there would a be list of all months jan - dec with a box beside each one - boxes to be checked as months are closed/should not be posted in.

#9857 - 09/17/07 06:36 PM Re: Closing months [Re: ]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Jenni,

Those check boxes for closing a period exist in Adagio Ledger in the "Edit Company Profile" function. However, as Steve pointed out, this only affects transactions being posted in Ledger. It does not prevent the AP clerk from posting an invoice into a closed period. The resulting G/L entries will not post in Ledger until the controller has made a decision about which period to post them into. The transaction fiscal period can be fixed either by editing the transaction or copying the error batch and updating all the fiscal period fields in the copy operation.

#9858 - 09/17/07 06:48 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Retired_Guy]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Our Adagio JobCost program has a feature where you can close particular date ranges (initially loaded from the Ledger, but can be customized to different ranges, even covering more than a single calendar/fiscal year). These ranges/periods are independant of the Fiscal Calendar in regards to open or closed status. Posting in Adagio JobCost can optionally adhere to these periods and refuse to post if any of these JobCost periods are closed.

Perhaps functionality like this might be what you are looking for?

I suppose part of this discussion hinges on when a controller considers the period Closed, what dates an AP clerk can enter transactions for, and whether it's more important to prevent the clerk from posting the batch, or allow them to post and have the controller force the entry into a different period.

#9864 - 09/18/07 07:05 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Softrak Support]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello again,

We really were hoping that Adagio would have the function to altogether prohibit an AP clerk from posting into a close period. Another issue is future posting, however the warning while entering should minimize this, but we have had issues with it in the past.

I just spoke to our controller/CFO, and she advised as an internal control preventing a clerk from entering into a closed period is the best mechanism - she has worked with several accounting applications which allowed this.

#9866 - 09/19/07 08:15 AM Re: Closing months [Re: ]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hello Jenni,

Preventing an AP clerk from entering an invoice received late late from a supplier would not work at all in some companies, for the reasons that Steve pointed out earlier. However, in others it would be useful. In my experience, only a small percentage of Adagio sites bother to close their periods in the general ledger to prevent posting into a period they consider closed.

Certainly, it would make sense to consider adding this functionality in the coming upgrades to the subsidiary ledgers. Thanks for sparking this interesting exchange.

#9872 - 09/19/07 08:05 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Retired_Guy]
Karen Offline
Karen

Loc: Pine Brook, NJ
Andrew, I agree this is a very interesting thread! We've had many instances where a period has been closed in AP and only by reviewing a vendor's statement are we aware of an invoice that we either have not received or has "fallen through our cracks". In either case, it needs to get into AP, and we need it entered in the correct period. I do however, think options are wonderful, and it's obvious by this discussion that different companies would utilize the options differently.

One of the best (in my opinion) that's been implemented was the date range functionality in Job cost that your Adagio support team reference in a previous response. It's made my life SO much easier!!!
By the way, we are one of the companies that does not close the periods in our GL.

#9875 - 09/19/07 08:47 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Karen]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Karen,

I know that JobCost carries its own calender. Why is it useful to have that separate and distinct from the company fiscal calendar?

#9885 - 09/20/07 05:11 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Retired_Guy]
Karen Offline
Karen

Loc: Pine Brook, NJ
Ah....I was referring to the calendar that lets the user select a date before recognizing revenue and expense. Sorry for the confusion!

#9888 - 09/21/07 02:52 PM Re: Closing months [Re: Karen]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Andrew,

It's great to hear that this is being considered to be added in an upgrade! I am not sure if you do a limited release to customers for trial upgrades, but if this this function is added I would volunteer to be a guinea pig.

Also to be considered perhaps is to added a parallel function in the ledger with the option of reopening months.

I was just conversing with the CFO again about this, and she advised me that especially because of the way in which the year is entered "07" that there has been errors (fake nails worn by our account administrators seem to contribute to this trouble!).

I was also wondering if there are ever any customer focus groups in the Vancouver area - I ask as I can see you are located in Vancouver. The CFO of my company and myself would both be interested in attending if you ever have events to obtain customer feedback as we do have noticed a few areas in Adagio which could be improved to improve Adagio's market share.

Thanks again for your help and consideration,

Jenni

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1847 Members
5 Forums
14239 Topics
69728 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18