Hi Everyone,

We installed a new server as of March 2018 that is running Windows Server 2016 Standard. It was setup specifically for Adagio only at that time. We've had some issues with file corruption over the last few months since it's been on the new server and we're trying to track down what is causing it.

My question is about SMB support in Adagio. I am curious if Adagio works correctly in a mixed SMB environment. The clients are a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10. Now that the server is 2016, vs the 2008R2 it was previously, the Windows 10 clients now talk to the server at SMB3 and the Windows 7 computers are only at SMB2.

We have been told by our current consultant that problems can occur on a mixed SMB2/SMB3 environment with Adagio, but with no documentation to back that up, and he's requested SMB2/3 to be disabled immediately to prevent further corruption.

Microsoft recommends not having SMB3 disabled (unless temporarily for troubleshooting), and in fact you can not separately disable SMB2 vs SMB3. That would mean, to disable SMB3, would mean disabling SMB2 as well, forcing the clients (and the server) to use SMB1, which is out of date, old and more often than not a security risk.

So now I'm at this situation where I'm looking for some other input, hopefully from other users, or Adagio tech support, on the official SMB protocol support, or links to documentation that can provide me documented "official reasons" for disabling SMB2/3 if it really is required for Adagio to work properly and prevent possible corruption.

Thanks in advance