Topic Options
#62682 - 12/31/19 02:58 PM Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator
Brian Stief Offline
Waterloo Guy

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hi All,
In November 2019, we reported to Softrak that the Set Paid Indicator that you can run in Sales Analysis to update the status of any invoice paid in full was not working properly. Softrak (Andrew Bates) eventually said they were going to investigate.

We have a number of client sites that rely on the Set Invoice Paid processing in Sales Analysis to calculate commissions on invoices when the invoice is paid in full or loyalty points programs that also rely on an invoice being paid in full in a defined monthly period, before calculating and doing payouts. When the Sales Analysis program is not working properly (and it is not), the result can be overpayments on commissions or loyalty points allocations. And can be big $.

The specific issue in Sales Analysis on the set invoice payment dates occurs if any credit is issued against a fully paid invoice. The result is the original payment date is erased. For some of our clients, it meant that a sales rep gets paid their commission multiple times for any invoices that credits are issued after the original invoice is paid and commission paid. In some situations, over $10,000 was paid out in error because the program is not operating properly. And it's difficult to try to go back and collect after the over payments have been made. The bigger issue is that most client sites are unaware of the issue and so are not checking for duplicated sales commissions if based upon an invoice being paid in full.

Given we have no idea of if and/or when a resolution is forthcoming from Softrak and a need to resolve our clients' dilemma, we have reacted quickly and created a utility that will restore the original invoice paid in full date within the Sales Analysis database. Our installed solution from Link2Systems costs $600 including $100 annual software upgrade maintenance, and works best with Gridview installed. Installation and training is about an hour.

Let us know if you need this utility to solve your commission overpayments resulting from the errors in the set invoice paid processing in Sales Analysis.

Best, and Happy New Years.
Brian

#63831 - 05/05/20 09:23 PM Re: Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator [Re: Brian Stief]
Brian Stief Offline
Waterloo Guy

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hi,
Further digging into this issue we have found discrepancies between Financial Reporting and the Sales Analysis details, so there are more issues than just the set paid indicator.

When we looked into balancing and correcting some of the invoices dates with Gridview R/W, it also appears that the date of the invoice being posted in Sale Analysis is being updated with the date of the credit note after a credit note is posted against the Sales Invoice.

The consequence of this transaction posting is that we are now able to explain why there are situations when Sales Analysis details in Gridviews or plain Adagio Sales Analysis Reports do not match to the Financial Reporting in the GL for comparable fiscal dates. Or reported details using "static" data in the Sales Analysis change from reported period to the same reported period by simply running reports at different subsequent dates.

We are seeing situations where an invoice is dated and posted in April as per AR, with a Credit Note dated May, updates the Sales Analysis original invoice date (April) with the May date of the credit note. We didn't spend the time to determine where or what causes this anomaly or whether the set paid indicator is run on the data set has an impact but the invoice date on the client's data was viewed and now shows the credit note date instead of the original invoice date. And so it now looks like the sales transaction was actually transacted in May instead of April that matches to the source documents.

So if you are attempting to balance the financial reporting of sales in the GL to the sales analysis data for the same date range, you may find that the numbers simply do not match because credit notes being credited in subsequent periods will change the date on the original posted invoices in Sales Analysis.

This needs to be corrected.

Brian

#63832 - 05/05/20 11:05 PM Re: Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator [Re: Brian Stief]
Bruce Gardner Offline
Adagio Wizard

Loc: Toronto ON, Canada
Hi Brian:

There must be particular circumstances where that happens. I tested with sample data tonight. It was only a single test (Invoice = Feb, CN = May) but the Invoice retained the original Feb date. I also ran the "Set Paid" function - it marked the Invoice as "Paid" but the date remained Feb. I used OE 9.3A and SA 9.3A.

#63833 - 05/06/20 07:47 AM Re: Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator [Re: Brian Stief]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
Hello Brian,

SalesAnalysis makes no guarantees that its figures will tie to the general ledger. From the SalesAnalysis manual under Database Editing:
Quote:
The database maintained by SalesAnalysis is purely statistical in nature. SalesAnalysis generates no accounting entries.
Users can edit any figures in the SA database without using GV-RW. The dates may have been changed there.

I would be VERY surprised if running the Set Paid Indicator function was changing the Invoice date in any circumstances (although bugs are a fact of life), but perhaps there is a very specific sequence that makes this happen. Or perhaps someone just changed the date in the SA database using Edit | Sales data.

#63835 - 05/06/20 12:24 PM Re: Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator [Re: Retired_Guy]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Brian/Andrew:

In the 1990's, using ACCPAC Plus as a Controller, we reconciled Sales Analysis to Ledger every month. The only time it failed was when someone changed the period number assigned to the transaction to create a mismatch between the date and assigned fiscal period. I see no reason why this shouldn't continue to work today. Users were not allowed to edit data, I can see where this would be a problem.

Brian states that the Credit Note is changing the Invoice date, not the Set paid indicator as Andrew mentions. If Brian's concern is valid then there is a bug. It shouldn't be too difficult for Softrak to test this to see if it can be duplicated.
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#63836 - 05/06/20 12:54 PM Re: Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
The Set Invoice Paid process in SalesAnalysis reads the current balance of the invoice in AR, and if it is zero it is considered as 'paid'. If it is not zero, then it is 'not paid'. This has how it has worked going all the way back to Accpac Plus days. Once can argue if this is valid, since a credit note or adjustment could also make an invoice current balance equal zero, but I am just stating what is, not necessarily what should be.

Set Paid Invoices does not read the AR Transaction matching file to see if a cash transaction for an equal amount to the invoice has been applied.

So if an invoice was paid in AR, it has a current balance of zero and is considered as Paid by this process in SalesAnalysis. And if later on a Credit Note is applied to the invoice, I presume that would make the AR invoice current balance no longer zero, and thus Set Paid Invoices would see this as no longer paid.

Brian: Do I have the concept of the problem you are reporting correct, where an invoice was paid and Set as such in SalesAnalysis, and then the Paid Indicator for the invoice is removed because the invoice in AR was credited?

Doug: From these posts, I do not interpret that the Invoice Date gets changed anywhere, but rather the Paid Date in SalesAnalysis. But I may not have interpreted the issue correctly. I would be highly suspect that the Invoice Date is getting changed, as this date is an index to the Sales Analysis Transaction file and I would expect a DIC error if this did happen.

#63837 - 05/06/20 01:45 PM Re: Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator [Re: Softrak Support]
Bruce Gardner Offline
Adagio Wizard

Loc: Toronto ON, Canada
Hi Support:

If you look at Brian's second post in this thread (dated May 6), he clearly states it "appears that the date of the invoice being posted in Sale Analysis is being updated with the date of the credit note after a credit note is posted". If that is happening, it would clearly make accurate sales reporting difficult. It's different from the discussion of how the "Set paid" process works.

#63839 - 05/06/20 03:00 PM Re: Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator [Re: Bruce Gardner]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

With SalesAnalysis 9.3A (2020.01.28) I could not replicate running Set Paid Invoice Indicator and see the Invoice Date of an already retrieved invoice get changed from one date to another. I tested with sample data, and all transactions and running set paid invoices on different login dates, to track. Invoice, cash and credit note. I posted the invoice and credit note through OE (9.3A, 2019.11.25)

Since you can replicate, please provide succinct steps to replicate. Please indicate the settings selected on Set Paid Invoices when run. If there is a problem here, it is more than just posting a credit note with a different date and retrieving into SalesAnalysis, then running Set Paid Invoice.

#69927 - 07/07/23 01:02 PM Re: Sales Analysis - Set Paid Indicator [Re: Softrak Support]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Hello Brian,

SalesAnalysis 9.3B (2023.06.16) has some changes to the Set Paid Indicator:
The ‘Set Invoice Paid Indicator’ Utility has been updated. If a Paid Invoice is adjusted to reduce the ‘Current amount’ to less than zero, the ‘Invoice Paid?’ status is no longer reset to ‘Unpaid’. Negative Invoices and Credit notes that are Paid and then are adjusted to increase the ‘Current amount’ to above zero are also left unadjusted.

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18