Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54023 - 06/17/17 10:14 AM Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors
chinmook Offline
Edward Chris Chin-Mook

Loc: Jamaica
Dear Team,

On several occasions during import of "INVOICE MODULE SHIPMENT BATCH" into the inventory we have had challenges where the import prematurely stops, due to "different reasons not Adagio Related".

However when this occurs and it is not reported for immediate restore, big problem arises for the inventory stock balances and the GL Accounting information.

Unlike the OE which updates the Inventory Control directly, the Adagio Invoice module remains a MANUAL Procedure.

Is there any process in Inventory where an Imported Shipment Batch can be reversed or UN-imported ?
876-754-5513

#54024 - 06/17/17 10:34 AM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: chinmook]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
No.

Make a backup before doing the import (only the Inventory module is necessary). Then if it fails, restore only the inventory data.

Steve

#54026 - 06/17/17 10:52 AM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: Steve Schwartz]
chinmook Offline
Edward Chris Chin-Mook

That would mean that as the IT support person I will have to do this daily or train a person into areas which ???????...if messes up can be a big deal...

Will definitely have to put something into action... because I now have an issue with both GL and Inventory because something went wrong and no one reported it to me until now..
876-754-5513

#54028 - 06/17/17 12:46 PM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: chinmook]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Edward:

The bigger picture question that needs to be answered is "Why is this happening and what needs to be done to resolve it?"

How often are they doing the import and how many transactions are in a typical import?
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#54029 - 06/17/17 04:52 PM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Douglas

This is not a typical import - this is the interface between Inventory and Invoices, where posting an invoice batch creates a batch ICSBATCH.xxx and Inventory needs to import it. One never knows how many transactions there are.

But it would be interesting to see the error message. Typically, the errors I get are if there is not enough in stock to import the shipment, but this doesn't cause data corruption, instead it causes the import to fail (as if no import was done).

Steve

#54030 - 06/18/17 04:30 AM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: Steve Schwartz]
chinmook Offline
Edward Chris Chin-Mook

The importation of the ICSBATCH.xxx does not have an Adagio related error, it is due to the size, importation frequency and time (end of work day) which the operator has to do the import. Most day I think they leave it running once it has done the integrity check and no error and starts importing, "Takes a long time" so they have to leave it running un-attended...

All of this is due to the fact that posting of invoice module does not update the inventory directly...

I have told the client to import daily but I fear they may be extending to days hence large file sizes....

Thanks for pointers, real problem is that ADAGIO INVOICE does not update ADAGIO INVENTORY at posting.... Thus a manual procedure which can lead to human/machine/etc errors.
876-754-5513

#54031 - 06/18/17 06:37 AM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: chinmook]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Hi Edward

I would not vote in favor of live updating of Inventory from Invoices. If they want that, have them use OrderEntry, especially now that automatic invoicing of orders is coming along in the next version.

I have clients who do their billing in various Invoices datasets so they can have multiple invoice number series and better security, and then import the ICSBATCH file into a master Inventory dataset, which also has Payables, PurchaseOrders and Ledger. I consider that to be a positive, not a negative.

But try to convince me why this client needs to use Invoices rather than a combination of SalesCQ (to do quotes or work orders) and OrderEntry.

Steve

#54037 - 06/18/17 09:35 AM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: Steve Schwartz]
chinmook Offline
Edward Chris Chin-Mook

Steve let us not mix apples with oranges.

Adagio Invoices is a part of the Adagio Accounting Software Suit and not a separate data-set/database.

We purchased Invoice Module in 2009 (after evaluating OE and Counter Sales) it was a curve ball when I realized that an extra manual step was necessary to import the ICSBATCH while the AR update was done automatically. Also honestly at evaluation I did not realize the time it would take to import the files....

Now from an auditing perspective the inability to match AR batches to IC shipment batches which then create the GL Cost Of Goods Sold has created another layer of challenges.As for the inventory stock balances which should be (Perpetual -Real Time) there is that (lag time) and ultimately if as in this case the import stopped and was redone by the operator ... my inventory figures are compromised ... The time lag between posting and importing has also contributed to other errors which "Stop The Manual Import" integrity check phase and I have to fix before they can import (easy fix but time consuming delay financials).

Adagio Invoice Module is a great tool which upon close inspection, actually has features/flexibility which OE and (Third Party- POS) does not have.

So I hope you get my meaning when I say ((kindly and respectfully)) do not mix apples(Adagio Software) and oranges(Third Party Software).

I will discuss this (software limitation) with the new Chief Accountant and highlight the importance of this manual task and potential risk to her financials.

Regards
Edward
876-754-5513

#54040 - 06/18/17 10:57 AM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: chinmook]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
All of the modules that Steve names are part of the Adagio Suite. He does not share your desire to have Invoices update Inventory in real time - he believes that OrderEntry should be used if that is a requirement.

You can automate all of the processes between Invoices and Inventory using Adagio Console. Perhaps if all the steps were automated, you clients would be more likely to perform the process daily as desired.

You mention the time required to process the import. Generally, imports should process in a matter of minutes. If this is not the case for you, then that speaks to an improperly configured workstation or network.

Please post some timings here. Also, compare the time importing over the network to a the time taken to import the same file if both the import file and inventory master are on a local machine. The import done on a local copy should be no more than 2 or 3 times faster than over the network.

#54041 - 06/18/17 11:14 AM Re: Imported Inventory Shipment Batch -User Errors [Re: Retired_Guy]
chinmook Offline
Edward Chris Chin-Mook

Andrew thanks for your intervention and Steve sorry for mis-understanding your reference to multiple ((datasets-being same same ADAGIO but different configurations)).

I will look into ADAGIO CONSOLE to see what can and can not be automated...

My initial setup was client/server and I think this may be what is still the case so I shall review and check if done directly on the Server via Remote Desktop if the speed will increase...

Again, thanks for your intervention...

Is there a link to the ADAGIO CONSOLE on you tube that highlights examples of the automation you speak of to fast track and reduce my learning curve.

Regards
Edward
876-754-5513

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14239 Topics
69736 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18