Topic Options
#10307 - 11/20/07 01:46 PM Reversing Year End Accruals
Holiday Offline
Adagio Guru

Loc: Canada
Hi, I am currently working on my year end journal entries (Oct 31, 2007). I have some accrual entries that will need to reverse in period 1 of next year (which I obviously haven't opened up yet). Could you let me know the easiest way to use the system to reverse the batch. I have figured out that I can post my accrual batch into this year, then go into batch unpost (using the reverse option) which will create a batch. Then I can archive the reversing batch for use later once I have closed this year and opened next year. Obviously when I restore them, I may have to check the period and date fields. Just wondering if there is any easier way. Thanks - Sue (Holiday Park Resort)

#10309 - 11/20/07 05:39 PM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: Holiday]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Sue,

You don't have to unpost the batch. Just archive it prior to posting. When you retrieve it from the archive in your new year, you can reverse the entries and change the dates and period.

#10315 - 11/21/07 10:58 AM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: Retired_Guy]
bd Offline
Adagio Guru

Loc: Peterborough, ON
I use the archive and restore feature for accruals every year. It is a great feature since you can reverse and change the dates and the period. I also use it to save batches, particularly ones brought in from payables after year-end before we have closed the general ledger.

But, I would also like to be able to change the reference field too though. For accruals I could change that field to reverse accruals and for repetitive entries I could change the reference number I use instead of having to go through each line to change the one field. Would that be possible in a future release?

#10316 - 11/21/07 11:09 AM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: bd]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Fortunately, with Ledger V9.0A, you won't have to archive and retrieve next year's batches any more. You can just "open" the new year and keep on processing. We are planning webinars all next week to demonstrate the new features.

I'm curious how the program would "know" how to renumber the reference field when a batch is being retrieved. While this suggestion has come up several times, every user has been setting the reference differently. What would make sense to you?

#10320 - 11/21/07 11:47 AM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: Retired_Guy]
bd Offline
Adagio Guru

What would work for me is that when you are copying or restoring a batch and it comes up with the window where you tick off for reverse, move, change date - specify box, change period - specify box, etc. if you added change reference with a specify box, as an option. It wouldn't have to come up with a suggestion like the date and period for my purposes, I use numbers that relate to the source, like the week number for payroll. Does that seem doable?

#10323 - 11/21/07 01:33 PM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: bd]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hello bd,

Unfortunately, the question remains - how would the computer know which part of the reference to increment? Here's an example of several reference numbers:
  • 'Jun01000'
  • '07110001'
  • '07May0102'

How would the computer "know" what to increment during the copy?

#10324 - 11/21/07 01:59 PM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: Retired_Guy]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi bd,

Would a 'replacement' of the Reference field work, rather than incrementing? So on the Copy/Restore screen, have a checkbox that has 'Replace reference with' and a field that strictly replaces the existing reference value with whatever is entered on the screen?

#10325 - 11/21/07 02:09 PM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: Retired_Guy]
bd Offline
Adagio Guru

I'm not looking for it to increment any number, I just want to be able to type in what I want to see in the reference field throughout all lines of the entry.

For example we have a biweekly payroll, because of all our departments the journal entry is about 100 lines. I want all lines to have the same reference 2007-40 for one payroll. Then I copy the entry for the next payroll, change the date and the period if appropriate and I'd like to change the reference to 2007-42. I'd prefer to type it in once during the entry creation compared to editing 100 lines to change one field. Okay I may need to edit the amount too, but that can be changed without visiting all fields but to change the reference you have to visit all fields when editing the entry.

Does that help? I don't know what others may be wanting to increment, perhaps they could increment the number themselves if the reference number of the previous entry was shown in a text box and they could just type in what they want to see too.

Just curious, what do others put in their reference field? Do they have the same reference throughtout one entry? Maybe others could say what they do here.

#10331 - 11/21/07 04:03 PM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: bd]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
I would love a find and replace function for the reference field. It is one of the reasons I continue to use ACCPAC Plus GL (with the GL Lifesaver addon).

#10334 - 11/22/07 08:36 AM Re: Reversing Year End Accruals [Re: Softrak Support]
bd Offline
Adagio Guru

To Softrak support - That's exactly what I would like to see.
To Steve - I've never heard of that add-on but we don't use ACCPAC Plus anymore anyway

Edited by bd (11/22/07 08:38 AM)

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18