Topic Options
#60855 - 05/09/19 03:45 PM Adagio on Server 2016
gem611 Offline
Stranger

Loc: BC
Hi Everyone,

We installed a new server as of March 2018 that is running Windows Server 2016 Standard. It was setup specifically for Adagio only at that time. We've had some issues with file corruption over the last few months since it's been on the new server and we're trying to track down what is causing it.

My question is about SMB support in Adagio. I am curious if Adagio works correctly in a mixed SMB environment. The clients are a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10. Now that the server is 2016, vs the 2008R2 it was previously, the Windows 10 clients now talk to the server at SMB3 and the Windows 7 computers are only at SMB2.

We have been told by our current consultant that problems can occur on a mixed SMB2/SMB3 environment with Adagio, but with no documentation to back that up, and he's requested SMB2/3 to be disabled immediately to prevent further corruption.

Microsoft recommends not having SMB3 disabled (unless temporarily for troubleshooting), and in fact you can not separately disable SMB2 vs SMB3. That would mean, to disable SMB3, would mean disabling SMB2 as well, forcing the clients (and the server) to use SMB1, which is out of date, old and more often than not a security risk.

So now I'm at this situation where I'm looking for some other input, hopefully from other users, or Adagio tech support, on the official SMB protocol support, or links to documentation that can provide me documented "official reasons" for disabling SMB2/3 if it really is required for Adagio to work properly and prevent possible corruption.

Thanks in advance

#60857 - 05/09/19 06:34 PM Re: Adagio on Server 2016 [Re: gem611]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
Hello,

By "issues with file corruption", could you be more specific?

I notice that you have Adagio DataCare. Could you add "datacarefail@softrak.com to the email list that receives the fail log if there is a problem?

Generally, Adagio works with MS products as configured out of the box. You should not have to change any of the settings at the protocol level - SMB1/SMB2/SMB3 or OpLocks.

OpLocks should be Enabled. SMB should be at SMB2/3 (there's very little difference between 2 and 3, although there is more difference with SMB1). The server should automatically figure out what is necessary in a mixed environment.

#60858 - 05/09/19 06:52 PM Re: Adagio on Server 2016 [Re: Retired_Guy]
gem611 Offline
Stranger

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply and the information. Unfortunately I don't know much more than "file corruption" as that's all I've been told from our current consultant. As I understand it, the data is with Adagio right now attempting to be repaired, can you look into it internally?. I can add the email into the email log list, although I'm not sure where to do that. If you can let me know I can add it in.

Thanks,

#60860 - 05/10/19 12:44 PM Re: Adagio on Server 2016 [Re: gem611]
Ken A. Offline
Adagio Maestro

Loc: Kamloops, BC
Hello Tom,

The current issue with the data corruption in this case was not related to the SMB settings but an issue with a newly changed feature within Adagio Payables related to a
batch optional field feature that is now being used. When system checks were run, the integration setup with the GL caused the posting to fail and data corruption to occur.
This has since been corrected and is no longer an issue.

During the course of the investigation we discuss the network configuration and setup. It was identified that Windows 10 and windows 7 machines were both connected via LAN to the new server. At that time I indicated that in this environment I suggested backing the SMB settings back to SMB2 as I and other dealers had seen disconnect issues under these circumstances (despite Andrew's assertions that "Generally, Adagio works with MS products as configured out of the box").

Your client had experienced data integrity errors on the older server and the new. In most cases the DIC errors were related to a network disconnect from the workstation to the server (most commonly in the accounts payable office). The SMB changes were simply a suggested "best practice" I and other Adagio dealers follow. I agree would be good if I could provide you detailed specs on server and network environments from Softrak, but these are simply not available.

As you know I have long suggest you move this client and RDP Sever for all users to avoid the LAN and the issues this client has been experiencing. The SMB issue would be not be a concern if we transitioned to the RDP environment.

Ken Aberdeen,CPA, CMA
Aberdeen Business Consulting Ltd.
ken@aberdeenconsulting.ca

#60863 - 05/10/19 03:01 PM Re: Adagio on Server 2016 [Re: Ken A.]
gem611 Offline
Stranger

Hi Ken and Andrew,

Ken, thanks for the reply. I was given the impression through our emails, given the request to change the SMB version right away before our next maintenance window, that SMB3 was the cause. This request implied urgency and that it was the the solution to this corruption issue. Sorry if I misinterpreted your response.

Yes, the move to RDS for all the finance users would resolve this "issue". But it's a "work around" not a solution. It moves everyone to the Windows Server 2016 RDS server, so the users would access the Finance Server (2016 as well) at SMB3, not 2. But that is a costly change for the client, there is not currently enough RDS CALs for all staff to just switch over to the RDS server. There shouldn't be any issue with W7 and W10 clients accessing the same server, from my very limited understanding of Adagio.

Like I said, on our emails, given the urgency of making the change to for the server to SMB1, I thought it was related. If it's not, then I really need clarification on why it's a best practice from you and other Adagio dealers, but not a recommendation from Adagio directly.

Maybe Andrew or someone else from Softrak can chime in on that? If there are issues with SMB2/3 that you and the other dealers are having, that require the disabling of SMB2/3 on newer Servers, that is something that should be sorted out.

Thanks,

#60865 - 05/10/19 03:25 PM Re: Adagio on Server 2016 [Re: gem611]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Tom

At one time choosing the correct SMB setting was very important but that's no longer the case today (I'm assuming that you have no XP workstations on your network for any reason).

I also recommend that Adagio be run on a Terminal server (programs and data) as this removes all of the network overhead and significantly improved throughput.

If your looking for a Network Guideline for Adagio, check out the White Papers on our website: https://www.accsyssolutions.com/resources/downloadable-white-papers/
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#60866 - 05/10/19 03:35 PM Re: Adagio on Server 2016 [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Bruce Gardner Offline
Adagio Wizard

Loc: Toronto ON, Canada
Hello Tom:

Like Ken and Doug, I always recommend a Terminal Server deployment where possible. There are technical advantages but there are also cost savings. Yes, they will need to purchase more CAL's but the cost savings will balance that. The client will spend less money on services. For instance, the time you and Ken are spending on this would disappear. Ken will make less money because there will be fewer problems for him to solve. When a new version is released, Ken will only have to install it in one place. And when a new user arrives or a new computer is installed, you won't need Ken's help; Just have them log into the server.

#60870 - 05/11/19 07:05 AM Re: Adagio on Server 2016 [Re: Bruce Gardner]
chinmook Offline
Edward Chris Chin-Mook

Loc: Jamaica
Hello Tom,

Best to move to the RDP environment, will save tons of $$$ .

My (two cents) is that I use a terminal product called TSPLUS on my MS Server instead of CALS and it works very good to the point where my clients not only have RDP access but WEB Access too, at a fraction of the MS CALS price.

https://www.terminalserviceplus.com/

Regards
Edward
876-754-5513

#60877 - 05/13/19 03:38 PM Re: Adagio on Server 2016 [Re: chinmook]
gem611 Offline
Stranger

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Douglas, I downloaded a copy of the Network Guildeline, that will be most helpful.

I will talk to the customer about moving over to the RDS server for Adagio full time.

Thanks

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1847 Members
5 Forums
14239 Topics
69728 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18