Topic Options
#47161 - 09/09/15 02:50 PM Fax Modems and centralized Faxing
Fong Offline
Adagio Ace

Loc: Canada
Hello

I am running up 4 new computers that have PCIe 2.0 X1 slots in them. Can you recommend a fax modem model and brand that is compatible with your system. We are currently looking at USR but will go with your recommendations as they are only for faxing invoices from Adagio.

I am told that Adagio doesn't support centralized faxing (sent to a shared faxing server). Is this true?

Please also CC tcarter@adv-network.com and gszakal@adv-network.com.

Thanks
Fong

#47162 - 09/09/15 04:04 PM Re: Fax Modems and centralized Faxing [Re: Fong]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hello Fong,

We recommend subscribing to one of the services that send emails as faxes because they are WAY easier to set up and more reliable to maintain. You can burn several years of service fees trying to get hardware modems to run reliably.

Type "send fax as an email" into Google to see some of the providers of this service.

#47163 - 09/09/15 04:23 PM Re: Fax Modems and centralized Faxing [Re: Retired_Guy]
Fong Offline
Adagio Ace

This doesn't answer the question. We have a fax server (Internal) that we would like to use (Microsoft Fax Server). It is seen as a shared printer at the workstations. Can this be used by our workstations running Adagio.

Alternatively all our existing computers have fax modems that Adagio is set up to use, I can install new USR fax modems in the new computers and make them work but would most like to use something recommended by Softrak as being compatible with Adagio.

Regards
Jerry Szakal (IT)
for Fong Parker

#47166 - 09/09/15 05:25 PM Re: Fax Modems and centralized Faxing [Re: Fong]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Adagio's Fax Driver expects an external modem connected to a serial port and communicating through "AT" codes. It does not expect to be communicating through a printer driver or to a fax server shared on the network.

You asked what we recommended, and our recommendation is that faxing is so uncommon as a communications method between companies (and non-existent between users), that it is not worth the consulting and troubleshooting time to attempt to get a fax modem working in 2015.

#47168 - 09/09/15 05:27 PM Re: Fax Modems and centralized Faxing [Re: Fong]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Jerry:

To answer your questions Adagio doesn't have the capability to fax from a central fax server. We have always had success with Multi-tech modems. For each workstation you will want a model MT9234ZBA external modem (we still use one to receive faxes). It's been so long I forget I forget how much time we spent on the learning curve, I can tell you that its been so long since we last set up a client to fax from Adagio that I've forgotten much about the setup and troubleshooting issues. If, as Andrew say, only a serial port will work then I'm not even sure if this is still an available option.

Don't attempt to use an internal model, in particular any OEM modem. As Andrew pointed out you will burn through a considerable amount of time trying to get it working reliably (and most likely fail).

Given that faxing is a dead technology, why is your client still faxing invoices rather than emailing them (which can also be done from Adagio)?

Edited by Douglas Dickie (09/09/15 05:29 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#47205 - 09/10/15 03:09 PM Re: Fax Modems and centralized Faxing [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Fong Offline
Adagio Ace

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. We have customers prefer the fax method. Some insists to receive the invoice and statement by mail! eek

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18