Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16631 - 04/03/09 03:55 PM Accounts Payable-Check Designer
cclory Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

Loc: British Columbia
I have adjusted our check template to suit our new pre-printed check stock. Viewing the template in the "Check Designer" module in A/P, everything looks fine and lines up when printed on a sample check. When I try to print an actual check in A/P using the new template, it looks nothing like the one that I have made adjustments to. The paper is selected as letter size in the Maintaining Specifications section of A/P . Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong??

#16634 - 04/03/09 04:02 PM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: cclory]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi cclory

The check spec Titles are what appear when printing checks. You may have two different check specs with the same title and are picking the wrong one by accident. Try using the spec designer to change the title of your check spec for pre-printed stock. Open the spec file and from File / Specification Options, you should ensure that the Title here is unique. Save your change and give it another try.

#16635 - 04/03/09 04:03 PM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: Softrak Support]
cclory Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

Did that, it is a very unique name, there is no other spec with this name.

#16646 - 04/03/09 09:28 PM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: cclory]
Bruce Gardner Offline
Adagio Wizard

Loc: Toronto ON, Canada
Hello:

Is the problem that an advice is printing where the cheque should print and vice versa?

If so, you should open the cheque spec file and go to File | Specification Options to indicate the position of the advices and the cheque. In layout mode, you will always see Advice-Cheque-Advice but you can control where they actually print.

Further to Support's suggestion, I would choose File | Open and confirm that there isn't another cheque with the same Title.

#16658 - 04/06/09 10:51 AM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: Bruce Gardner]
cclory Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

No, it seems that the two top advice sections are not lined up, which is pushing the cheque section on to another page. But when you look at the template in the Specs it is perfect.

#16663 - 04/06/09 02:06 PM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: cclory]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Are you printing checks to a laser printer or a dot-matrix printer? What is the layout of your form (adv/adv/check or check/adv/adv or another)? I presume it's adv/adv/check.

It may be that you have too many detail lines reserved for your advice, and based on the section sizes, the advice sections as a whole are too big and thus your check goes to the top of the second page. The solution in this case is to edit the File / Specification Options and reduce the Max Details number. You can preview the spec within the designer to ensure that everything fits on one page, and then print to paper to ensure that it aligns with your pre-printed check form.

If you have a laser printer, there is a top margin reserved by the laster printer driver. It may be that you have a pre-printed form that has information you want to print in, within the laser printer margin. You might be able to nudge fields higher within the first advice section (highlight and use the cursor key to move up), even so that they are partially underneath the advice 'grey' section indicator. But there are no guarantees that you can get the alignment you desire - the solution may also mean that your forms won't work on your printer due to the printer's margin.

You should verify that all the section heights (header, detail and footer) for your advices indeed match your pre-printed form.

#16664 - 04/06/09 02:18 PM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: Softrak Support]
cclory Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

The layout is adv/adv/check. What should I lower the Max Details number to? It is at 12 now.

#16665 - 04/06/09 02:25 PM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: cclory]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Start by going one lower - in your case, 11. The end result should be that your advice information all still aligns, and is not too big to push the check to the next page.

If this causes information to print too high, then you may need to tweak the advice section heights in order to get everything properly aligned.

You'll know this is the problem if your current problem has the first advice header aligning properly but the first advice footer is printing too low. This pushes down the second advice to also be mis-aligned and printing too low.

If this is not the particular printing problem, could you explain in a little more detail what portions of the check (and advices) are printing correctly - if any - and where the printing alignment goes awry? That will help us to give more specific information to identify the problem.

#16666 - 04/06/09 02:59 PM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: Softrak Support]
cclory Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

This was very helpful! I feel like I am on the right track now. I have printed a cheque and everything is lining up, but now in advice #2 the headings are not showing up ie; invoice#, date, reference, description, net amt paid, but it is on the template and I do not have the option to manipulate the text for advice #2 on the template. Any suggestions on how to get these to print on the cheque? Also adding divider lines to seperate the columns in the advices, I cannot seem to get them to work for me, advice #2 is fine, but advice #1 has no divider lines and when I try to add them the just come out broken lines. I have tried the fit to section option, but that just brings the line to the very top of the advice (not what I want).

#16669 - 04/06/09 03:25 PM Re: Accounts Payable-Check Designer [Re: cclory]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Glad that there is progress!

From the File / Specifications screen, can you confirm which advice section(s) are selected to print? You could choose Advice 1 twice, or each of Advice 1 and Advice 2, or Advice 2 twice. If you happened to pick the same Advice twice, then any changes you made to the 'other advice' sections on the spec would have no influence when printing, as they have not been chosen to print.

Or if you have chosen both Advice 1 and 2 to print, ensure that the desired fields/labels exist in the respective 'advice 2' header, detail or footer sections. In this case, you can manipulate all fields/labels independantly.

For dividing vertical lines, you should insert them so that the top of each line is in the detail section, and then format to 'fit to section' as you indicated. The location of the top of the line indicates what section it 'belongs' to. If the top exists in an advice header section and you 'fit to section', indeed it will fit to that section.

If your spec contains two different detail section types (for payments and for cash invoices), you need to insert vertical lines and 'fit to section' for both. Otherwise when you preview within the designer, it will appear as if there are gaps in the detail section of the advice. Printing live checks will choose one detail section or the other (whichever is applicable) and ignore the other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Softrak Support 
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 85 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14239 Topics
69736 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18