Accidental Reversed Cheque

Posted by: ShelleyD

Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 08:41 AM

When clearing cheques, I accidentally clicked on "Reverse" on one of the cheques instead of "Clear" and never noticed until after I posted it. Is there a way I can change it to "Clear" or "Reverse" the reversal and then "Clear"?

The cheque was reversed instead of cleared and now the invoice that was paid on that cheque is outstanding. So I need to show somehow that the payment was made and have the invoice showing as paid also.

Shelley
Posted by: Bruce Gardner

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 09:40 AM

Hi Shelley:

I would create a Manual Check batch, specify the Vendor and the Invoice but remove the check-mark from "Print check". Enter the original cheque number in the "Check number" field. You will probably get two warnings about a duplicate cheque number but that's OK. Save that payment and then post it as usual.

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 10:04 AM

Excellent, I never thought of doing it that way. Thank you very much!
Posted by: Dan_Desautels

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 10:05 AM

Hi Shelley,

One thing to add to Bruce's solution is that IF you are using BankRec, you will have an issue posting the check if your company profile option in BankRec is set to "check for duplicates". You will have to temporarily disable that profile option to post the batch.

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 12:13 PM

Thank you for the side note, Dan, I appreciate it. We don't use it and therefore it was not an issue.

Shelley

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 12:15 PM

Thank you Bruce, I did as you suggested and it worked perfectly!

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 12:36 PM

Hi Shelley:

Thanks for the update - always happy to hear good news. For anyone reading this thread and using the Bank Reconciliation module, Dan's recommendation is correct.
Posted by: Steve Schwartz

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 12:43 PM

This post highlights the wisdom of Canadians having different spellings for cheque and check (except for Dan who spells cheque "check").

Steve the American

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/02/19 04:30 PM

Steve: That's because Dan is several decades younger and more modern than me! smile
Posted by: Dan_Desautels

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 07/03/19 12:01 PM

Lol...Steve.
I'm surprised I didn't spell it the Canadian way. But I think I might have changed it when it got the red underline. :-)

Re: Accidental Reversed Cheque - 09/24/19 07:05 AM

*sigh* I did it again. Fifteen years doing this and I've never before done this, now I seem to have made it a bad habit and have done it twice in a couple of months! Good to have this to check back on what to do.

Thanks for the morning chuckle as well on banter back and forth on the spelling of "cheque". You gotta learn to ignore the red underline Dan and be true to our Canadian ways! smile

Have a great day all!