Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices

Posted by: Steve Schwartz

Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/17/19 08:33 AM

A client wants to prevent their users from deleting invoices so that they can have an audit trail of every invoice number.

I showed them how to use the "Delete canceled invoices?" option under Company Profile. It's not exactly what they had in mind. What they have in mind is the equivalent of the "Delete batch" option under Security Group maintenance but for invoices instead of batches.

A workaround would have been to look at the Application Log to see who deleted an invoice, including the invoice number, but the Application Log doesn't tell you what someone does once they open a batch, only who when opened the batch, and when.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

In the meantime, I'd like to suggest that either the Application Log be expanded to include what was done at the transaction level inside a batch, or to add the "Delete invoice" option under Security Group.

Thanks

Steve
Posted by: Retired_Guy

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/17/19 08:44 AM

Hi Steve,

Invoices assigns a document number when the transaction is created. If an invoice is turned into a credit note, then the Invoice Number that has been previously assigned is deemed "deleted" and recorded in the deleted invoice file.

I don't think it is possible to assure a site an empty deleted invoice log which is probably what your client would like.

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/17/19 11:15 AM

But an enhanced Application log would do the trick.

Credit notes are not an issue for them. If necessary I can explain why.

So preventing deleting of invoices would do the trick.

Any suggestions?

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/17/19 12:11 PM

Hi Steve,

I don't think you understand the problem. When you create a new Invoice transaction, an invoice number is assigned. After the number is assigned, the user can change the document type to "Credit Note" and a new credit note number is assigned. The invoice number originally assigned to the transaction is deemed "deleted" and recorded in the Deleted Invoice Log.

Go to the Totals tab on a new invoice and change the document type back and forth between Invoice and Credit Note. You'll see invoice numbers being "consumed" each time.

And, to preempt the observation that we could change where the new document number is assigned to be the same as OrderEntry (at the point the user saves the transaction), would require an architectural change to batch entry in Invoices. I think the best we can offer improvements in logging.

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/17/19 12:31 PM

I understand the problem. As I wrote above, credit notes are not an issue. They don't create them in Archive, which is where invoices are created. And if they did, management would want to know.

So I will repeat...

A workaround would be to look at the Application Log to see who deleted an invoice, including the invoice number, but the Application Log doesn't tell you what someone does once they open a batch, only who when opened the batch, and when.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

In the meantime, I'd like to suggest that either the Application Log be expanded to include what was done at the transaction level inside a batch, or to add the "Delete invoice" option under Security Group.

Steve

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/17/19 03:23 PM

Credit Notes are a problem, because if you prevent people from "deleting invoices", then they cannot create a credit note.

Doesn't the Deleted Invoices log meet the requirements? It explains every "missing" invoice number.

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/17/19 04:11 PM

I didn't even know that report existed.

It's a silly report when printed out of Invoices - but it looks promising in GridView, where I can build some filters.

Thanks

Steve

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/18/19 06:45 AM

Hi Andrew

That report is very helpful - thanks.

Related question/suggestion - is there/can there be a way to prevent certain users from creating a Credit Note? I realize you can't dummy-proof Invoices completely, but in the delivery business (which this client is in) it's really important to lock down the system as tightly as possible because the drivers deal with cash.

Steve
Posted by: Softrak Support

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/18/19 09:21 AM

Hello Steve,

A suggestion has been added to the wishlist for a future release.

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/19/19 10:01 AM

Hi, Steve,

Have added a suggestion that Invoices track the deletion of Archived invoices in the Deleted Invoices report as well.

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/19/19 10:13 AM

Hi Support

I take back what I said about the report being very helpful wink

It only tracks deleted "Open" invoices, and this client does all of their billing in "Archive" (other than moving the invoices to "Open" in order to post).

So let's add another suggestion that it also track deleted "Archive" invoices.

Thanks

Steve

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 07/19/19 10:20 AM

Done smile

Re: Invoices 9.3A tracking deleted invoices - 10/07/21 12:04 PM

Hello Steve,

The Invoices 9.3B (2021.09.30) Upgrade just released, has a new option in Security Groups: Allow Credit Notes. Users in this group will be prevented from creating credit notes when this option is disabled.