GL posting - extra line

Posted by: JeanB

GL posting - extra line - 07/07/15 12:25 PM

One of my co-workers has had a strange thing happening when posting some batches. After posting a JE if he runs the Detail Listing report on one of the accounts in the JE it generates an extra line that reverses the entry. The line says "2015-/P8 Details missing". If he closes the GL and re-opens it the extra line is gone. "View Transactions" does not show the extra line, just the Detail Listing. It also doesn't happen every time for him, and I wasn't able to duplicate it on my computer. The data integrity check is fine too. Is there something in his workstation set-up? We recently uninstalled and reinstalled all of our Adagio modules and had to tailor our settings - do you think there's some setting that's creating this line item?

Thanks,
Jean
Posted by: Softrak Support

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/07/15 01:56 PM

Hello Jean,

If someone has Financial Reporter open while transactions are being posted in Ledger, the Detail Listing will show this detail until Financial Reporter is closed.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/07/15 02:46 PM

Aaah...and of course the FR needs to be closed before the GL can be closed, so we thought it was closing the GL that corrected it but it was the FR. Got it - thanks for explaining that.

Jean
Posted by: Patricia B.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/07/15 03:14 PM

I've seen it happening too. Good to know the cause was found.
Posted by: Patricia B.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/07/15 03:18 PM

Is it going to be fixed?
Posted by: Retired_Guy

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/07/15 03:45 PM

It only happens (to us) when the Financial Reporter is started from Ledger. If the Financial Reporter is started from its own shortcut, you won't see the problem.

We are discussing ways this might be fixed.
Posted by: Carol Wojick

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/08/15 07:16 AM

Thanks for explaining that - I have seen it also.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/13/15 11:39 AM

So I have a problem with this in my GL right now - I had the FR open and I posted, unposted, and reposted a batch. For some reason it did not unpost the JE properly so now I have this line in my GL that says "2015-/P8 Details missing" and right underneath it says "***Damaged Data***: Computed balance of $xx does not equal stored balance of $xx". I closed the FR and the GL and reopened them and this line is still there. I did a DIC and it comes up with 2 errors (acct 2511 is out of balance, and the debits & credits don't equal); when I try to rebuild it tells me that a restore or database repair is required. Kind of a big deal because I'm going to lose all the work I've already done this morning (we back up every night). Is there anything I can do to avoid restoring my backup?

Thanks,
Jean
Posted by: Michael Mulrooney

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/13/15 03:00 PM

Upload a backup to www.softrak.com\dbr and I will correct the errors, no charge.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/14/15 07:52 AM

Is there any way for me to correct the error? Or is it more of a programming thing?

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/14/15 08:02 AM

Sorry Jean. You cannot correct this problem.

Use File | Backup Ledger Data and upload the resulting ZIP to http:/www.softrak.com/dbr - attention Database Repair.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/14/15 01:10 PM

Thanks Andrew & Michael. I've sent in the file to the link provided - I do appreciate the database repair being free of charge. Can you confirm for me that it was the act of unposting while having the FR open that caused the corrupt data? I just want to make sure I don't replicate the error in the future.

Jean

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/14/15 01:40 PM

Hi Jean,

We don't know for sure, as we have been unable to create a damaged database in house no matter what we do.

However, we have seen the symptoms that you described in your first post, so we think the problems are related. We are trying to add logging code to see if we can catch the specific process that damages the data.

Thanks for your patience.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/14/15 02:00 PM

Thanks Andrew - I'll just be more careful about having the FR closed when I'm posting JE's.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 07/16/15 01:28 PM

A Hot Fix has been posted that prevents the circumstance from occurring. From the Release Note:
Quote:
  • In Ledger 9.2A, posting or unposting batches on a station while the Financial Reporter was open on the same station, at the time as users were in Ledger on other stations, in some cases caused data integrity errors. You can no longer post while the Financial Reporter is open on the same station. If you attempt to post the warning “Financial Reporter is running, you must close it first. Use ALT-TAB to switch to it.” will be displayed.

You can download the Hot Fix from here.

Note: You must save the downloaded Hot Fix EXE file to a folder on your computer and run it from a Windows Explorer window (okay if the window is opened by the browser). Trying to run the EXE directly from the web browser results in a 404 error in several browsers.

The password is: gulfstream

Note: Adagio Ledger 9.2A (2015.05.16) SP MUST already be installed before you can install this Hot Fix.

Hot Fixes have not had the same level of testing as regular releases or Service Packs. Hot Fixes should only be installed to fix a specific problem experienced at a site.

Hot Fixes are free of charge to registered users although partners may charge for their time.

Please contact your Adagio Consultant if you have any questions or require assistance installing the Hot Fix.

We are posting the password and link in this public area to allow people to install the Hot Fix at their earliest convenience.

A Service Pack incorporating this change will be release in the coming weeks with an announcement to all Ledger Users on an Upgrade Plan.

Thanks for your patience.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 08/18/15 03:23 PM

When I try to install this hot fix I get the attached download failure error. What did I do??

Jean

Re: GL posting - extra line - 08/18/15 03:27 PM

Download the Hot Fix again and run the EXE from File Explorer. Do not run the EXE directly.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 08/18/15 03:56 PM

Still getting the same error message. It's right at the beginning of the process when I click proceed. A small window pops up saying "downloading file" and then I immediately get the error. I've re-downloaded it about a dozen times and I'm running the EXE file directly from windows explorer.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 08/19/15 09:47 AM

Problem resolved. I went back to the very first EXE file I downloaded and it worked this time around...for some reason through only the original download worked. (Not sure why it didn't work yesterday though.)

Re: GL posting - extra line - 08/19/15 09:51 AM

Glad to hear you're up and running. Thanks for the update.
Posted by: SuzBem

Re: GL posting - extra line - 09/11/15 06:50 AM

I'm on Ledger 9.2A and I have the same issue as noted earlier - 7 errors. I see a posting from Michael to upload a backup of g/l to Softrack. Is that still the only fix? I need to fix this quickly.

Re: GL posting - extra line - 09/11/15 07:32 AM

Please post the version of Adagio Ledger you are running (see Help | About).

Please backup and upload the data to http://softrak.com/dbr and install the recently released Service Pack for Ledger if you have not already done so.

The data will be looked at today.
Posted by: SuzBem

Re: GL posting - extra line - 09/11/15 08:39 AM

Thank you. I have sent the upload. Is there any way to know it's been received?