Topic Options
#8278 - 01/23/07 01:10 PM Crystal Reports Printing to Excel stops
Jeffrey Marshall Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

Loc: Vancouver
Hello,

We order Crystal Reports for Adagio to replace the older quick reports. When the user prints/exports to an excel workbook it only exports 16333 or so rows of data. There is no error message. And the report should have around 45,000 rows of data so it is within the excel max of 64,000.

We checked the Crystal site and found they have a patch that will correct this issue but they also say to contact you since we purchased product from you.

Are you aware of this issue?

Jeffrey Marshall
ISS Support Tech
Commonwealth Ins. Co.
1500- 595 Burrard Street,
Vancouver, BC Canada
V7X 1G4

604.891.6698 Direct
604.683.8968 Fax

#8279 - 01/23/07 01:43 PM Re: Crystal Reports Printing to Excel stops [Re: Jeffrey Marshall]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
Hello Jeffrey,

No, we were not aware of the issue. Would you post the link? If the patch is available for Crystal Reports V8.5 on their site, then you should be able to just download and install the patch without ramifications. We do not modify Crystal V8.5 in any way (we just provide a data layer access). Depending on what you're trying to export, it might have been easier and more straightforward to use GridView to replace the functionality you required of Quik Reports.

#8280 - 01/23/07 02:51 PM Re: Crystal Reports Printing to Excel stops [Re: Retired_Guy]
Jeffrey Marshall Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

Hi Andrew,

Here are the links for the service packs:

Crystal reports services packs:
http://support.businessobjects.com/downloads/service_packs/crystal_reports_en.asp

SP2 release notes
http://ftp1.businessobjects.com/webprod/hot_fixes/en/cr85win_en_sp2.pdf

SP3 Release notes
http://ftp1.businessobjects.com/webprod/hot_fixes/en/cr85win_en_sp3.pdf

After following the directions from there web site, I checked and it appears we have regular crystal reports. So On a test PC I ran the patch and it failed to install. Message was to the effect this was not a proper version of crystal for this patch.

Part of the issues is the user is in the habit of exporting to version (excel 5) when exporting and is this is excel 95 version then I think SP 3 fixes it. Also am going to try to have him export to Excel later version, txt file and maybe a db3 file and see what happens. Just concerned about not being able to install patch when they come out.

Thanks.

Jeffrey Marshall

#8282 - 01/23/07 05:17 PM Re: Crystal Reports Printing to Excel stops [Re: Jeffrey Marshall]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Thanks Jeffrey

I'll take a look.

#8283 - 01/23/07 06:45 PM Re: Crystal Reports Printing to Excel stops [Re: Retired_Guy]
Jeffrey Marshall Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

User came with another issue just now. Not sure if I should start a new post or not.

First issue:
Excel version 5 must be from office 95 which has a 16,000 row limit in excel. Had user export a 62,000 row report useing version 8 and it completed successfully.

Second issue:
User exported a report to excel and in cells that contained no data it placed a number. It was the date field and the number was 4 million something. Since it was the date field and the fill number was easy to ID we were able to sort and delete it from the file.

I beleive I read about this issue at the crystal web site too. Not sure if it is in the service pack release.

So I guess the most important issue is getting sservice packs and hot fixes applied.

Feel free to break these in to one or more tickets.

Thanks for the great work as always Andrew.

#8284 - 01/23/07 07:01 PM Re: Crystal Reports Printing to Excel stops [Re: Jeffrey Marshall]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Hi Jeffrey,

Steve Wilson, head of our R&D department had no trouble installing Service Pack #3 against Crystal Reports for Adagio. He did mention that it didn't ask very many questions during the install, but it did seem to install correctly.

You should know that Crystal only does a "so-so" job of exporting to Excel (or anything else for that matter) as a report does not provide much context to help it arrange stuff in appropriate columns. Certainly, you can help it out by making the detail section very simple and suppressing all the totals, headers and footers.

#8289 - 01/24/07 04:54 PM Re: Crystal Reports Printing to Excel stops [Re: Retired_Guy]
Jeffrey Marshall Offline
Adagio Enthusiast

Hi Andrew,

I checked again and was able to install service pack 3 and everything looked good. I checked the file the user downloaded and it was a critical hot fix. When run it comes up with an access to registry issue which seams to point toward our internal GPO. Will see if I can find out what and why and let you knoe. Thanks again.

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18