Topic Options
#53703 - 05/11/17 02:12 PM AR Aged Trial Balance
SusanTennier Offline
Adagio Maestro

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We are having an issue where the AR Trial Balance is reporting incorrectly when back dated. Is anyone else having this problem? If so do you know a fix? We need to balance year end but can't do so with this report. We are using 9.2A (161013).

#53705 - 05/11/17 03:17 PM Re: AR Aged Trial Balance [Re: SusanTennier]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Susan:

There is no known program reason for the AR Trial Balance to be out of sync with Ledger.

There is a long list of user errors that could result in the AR balance being different from the Ledger balance.

To start; make sure you are using the AR Aged Trial Balance with the Calculate as of date option.

Make sure AR balance to GL as of this month end, so make sure that all transactions are posted to Ledger, print the report for May 31 and compare the balance to Ledger for this period end. In sync, then you have a timing error to find. Not in sync then you have a bigger problem.

Timing errors occur because someone overrides the automatically assigned fiscal period based on the transaction date. This happens often at year end when someone decides that transactions dated in one fiscal year (like the last) should be moved into the next fiscal year. Now you AR is out of balance to Ledger at year end.

Beyond that it will get difficult to guide you through the reconciliation process in this forum.
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#53708 - 05/11/17 03:25 PM Re: AR Aged Trial Balance [Re: Douglas Dickie]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Susan

Do you know of a transaction that should be on the report and isn't, or vice versa? Is that transaction and anything other transactions applied to showing on the customer's account in History or Current?

I have seen cases where someone has run Period End and then run it again with an earlier date. This can cause a problem with the backdated report when run as of any date prior to the first Period End.

Steve

#53711 - 05/11/17 07:07 PM Re: AR Aged Trial Balance [Re: Steve Schwartz]
SusanTennier Offline
Adagio Maestro

Douglas,

I ran the report as of May 31, 2017 and everything balances to the penny! So it must be a timing problem. I haven't figure out which entries ended up in the wrong year in Ledger yet.

Steve,

When I did year end on March 31, I did the day end and month end, but I forgot to do the year end in the subledger. So, I did it the next day, after a full day of entering and posting new batches. I wonder if that caused the problem? I thought it would only affect the statistics.

#53712 - 05/12/17 06:42 AM Re: AR Aged Trial Balance [Re: SusanTennier]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Susan

So long as you used March 31 for AR Period End and AR Year End, that is not the problem.

It's probably, as you suspected, a Ledger timing problem, and the AR report is accurate. If you don't want to troubleshoot that, you can make a GL entry to reconcile to the AR report, and then reverse the entry in the next period.

Steve

#53725 - 05/12/17 12:49 PM Re: AR Aged Trial Balance [Re: Steve Schwartz]
SusanTennier Offline
Adagio Maestro

Hi Steve,

We went ahead and did a reversing entry like you say. However, we discovered that there really were no timing issues. There actually are reporting errors on the AR Aged Trial Balance report. The amount is shown incorrectly on the report when back dated AND the customer had since been "combined into" another customer using Toolkit. What we should be doing is correcting the AR report, rather than moving the ledger entries to the previous year. Ledger is correct. AR is correct. AR Aged Trial Balance report is incorrect.

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18